Weed solution help!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey having a problem with this weed. It is taking over the lawn. Looks like ornimental grass growing in. It is not sand bur but looks similar. When mowed it tears like you see. It looks like crap need some ideas how to get rid of it and what it is.

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like foxtail or goose grass to me...if its foxtail than i know for a fact Drive will work great
  3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a cocktail of Drive 75 and Trimec plus, both at label rates. Five Star is right on with his ID.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am guessing, but maybe fall panicum. My book syas "common in corn and soybean fields in fall.
    Also very close to witchgrass. Let some of it go to seed--it is easier to identify that way. Is this a new lawn. It probably is an annual. If you are lucky it will not appear next year.
  5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

For sure not goosegrass. Goosegrass is most prostate with big seedheads.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think so. it will be back 10 fold.
    Have the same crap in one of my lawns, I'll be getting rid of it as soon as the temps drop a little.
    heres a good resource for comparing. http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/green_foxtail_53/
  7. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Guys I don't think that it is foxtail, it spreads out alot like crabgrass not erect. Plus foxtails seedhead looks like a "foxtail" not fraid grass.
  8. stumper1620

What you are seeing is what it looks like after a sharp mower blade cut it.
    it frays. looks like you just cut a rope.
  9. stumper1620

By the way, MSMA takes it out fairly quick.
  10. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

agree with you stumper, not foxtail. I have tried drive and a new chemical that kills all but bluegrass, cant rememeber the name. No results. You obviously have seen this stumper, do you have to apply msma only one time? or a few apps. It is through the whole lawn. There is a seed head in the pic hard to see, it is almost a frizzy red tail.