weed torch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ilovethisgame, Jun 6, 2002.

1. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

For years I've seen propane torches made for weed control advertised in several tool catalogs. Just curious if anyone owns or has tried one of these things? Personally after years of paying hundreds for round up pro, filling out pesticide reports, and having anti-pesticide customers cry foul when I spray I'm getting tempted. Thanks

2. anthony

anthony Guest

i was thinking about them last week.it would be ideal to use it for a paver weed control .spraying roundup on the pavers is a pain and lot of waste.
    anthony

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use mine for weeds, but to roast Yellow Jackets at night when they are in their nests in the ground. Works.

KB

4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I have one of these, They work ok.... but the weeds will comeback eventually so you do need to use it regularly and becareful not to set the country on fire.

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i use just a propane torch to burn out driveway/sidelwalk weeds

6. RoyaleRcr

RoyaleRcr LawnSite Member

They have been used on organic farms and orchards for decades. Remmember that you do not actually set the plant on fire. All you do is hold it over the weed until you see it wilt. That is all it takes. About two/three seconds ussualy does the trick. The Bernz-o-matic one that I bought did not stay lit, so maybe get the larger one but then you have to lug around a bigger tank.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

OK for around the home but I don't really like the idea of carting a 20lb cylinder of propane around with me. First of all, no one secures the cylinder correctl. I am sure most of you never have seen the fire and resultant explosion if a problem develops. They also make great missles when breeched. Secondly its heavy. Last is that as was mentioned, the weeds will come back. Nothin beats the salt bath of glyphosate to get rid of the enemy. Good Luck.

8. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use the torch method, recently I changed to boiling water right on the weed (works great in my area for weeds in pavers and coming up in the cracks in concrete).

I make coffe and tea in the morning the old way boil water and pour, just make a little extra.

Try it and see if it works for you, at home that is!!!!

Just a thought!

9. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Another possibility is vinegar. Regular vinegar is 5% acidity. For weeds, 10% or 20% is used. Greensense makes quarts and gallons of 20%. http://www.greensense.net
    I have not yet tried it but will be getting some soon.

10. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I know oxy-acetylene is alot hotter than propane, but I did some cutting on expanded metal in a parkinglot and the concrete flew... Expanded so fast it would come loose and shoot off. Looked like somebody took a chisel to the parking lot later. I did see a weed and torched it, didn't work to good, too wet.

Rapid thermal expansion is bad