Weed Treatment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TheBryGuy, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TheBryGuy

TheBryGuy LawnSite Member

Hey guys, just a quick question. Will the broadleaf weed killer also take care of things like clover and dichondra? I have some customers that have patches of clover popping up all over the yard and I don't want to kill off the grass around them. Thanks!

2. jason u

jason u LawnSite Member

Depends on what type of weed killer you are using - take a look at the label and see if it is pre or post emergent herbicide, and specifically which weeds it will target.

3. TheBryGuy

Alright thanks. I haven't actually gotten the herbicide yet. I wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy multiple herbicides or not for sure before I made the purchase.

4. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

TheBryGuy:

I will state this once before you start applying pesticides to customers yards get certified. Clover is a little bit tricky but I almost always get it with three-way. In rare instances do I need to use something stronger like Momentum FX2 or speedzone. Make sure it will work on warm season grasses what works up here may not work down there.

Matt

Matt

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Dicamba (spelling) is what will do the most damage to clover. Just make sure your product has this ingredient. Keep in mind that clover is a process.

6. TheBryGuy

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

BryGuy,
    get licensed and talk to local dealers, experienced guys or experts. Austin, St Augustine country. Use a product that is suitable and labeled for the species of grass you are growing.
    Do you mean you want to protect the dichondra or kill it?

If you are talking about a dichondra lawn--I can't help you. Shivering too much.

8. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

Your St.Augustine lawns wont tolerate the types of weed control the northerners on here use. Clover is relatively easy but dichondra is tough to get rid of in st.augustine lawns.

9. TheBryGuy

haha no no, it's not a dichondra lawn, there are small spots of dichondra popping up. I want to nip them in the bud before they get out of hand.

10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Try Lesco with Penoxsulum or Scotts with 1.3% Atrazine... You can put down a little more than "normal" but be sure to water it in.
    FYI; I use Lesco