weed wack every other week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 11, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a friend of mine in the business 23 yrs, told me, to save time and increase profits, he only weed wacks every other week. he says he wacks almost down to the dirt one week, and then skips the next week. does anyone else do this? personally, im always tellin my guy to lift it up a bit, i like the wacking the same hieght as the mowing or slightly lower.

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm w/ you on this one - line trimming should be at height of cut, and all beds should be edged out (vertically trimmed) each week too.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i weedwack at mow height on everything except real large properties, i will bring it waay down if its far out from the house. the people never go out there and you can't tell its too short or too long the next week over the growth. It saves me about 30 minutes of trimming every other week on one property and about 10 on another.

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

People who underprice are always looking for ways to save time after they realize they're not making much profit, (it happened to me lot's of times when I started) I agree with BSdealty at some level, but the thing to watch out when trimming is if you do it too close grass will die and specially along the edges you'll get lot's of crabgrass that no matter how short you trimm it, it will need trimmig the next week for sure if not before.

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be looking at the type of customers that your friend has developed and retained after 23 years. I know for sure that many of customers would quickly pick up on this type of scheme and I'd be out the door just a quick.

6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I think trimming every other week is a scrub move. The way the grass grows around here it would never work. Plus, The reason I do this for a living is so I can look back at the work i've completed and be proud of it. That kind of skimping will catch up with him after a while.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i'm aware how low i can cut it. the properties i'm talking about are over 1.5 acre each, the people that own it are a.) too old to walk more than from the kitchen to the garage and b.) doesn't give a rats --- if theres some extra grass growing by one of his 50 tree's on the property at the end of 2 weeks where no one, including himself can see it.

i never said i didn't trim around the house every week. i do, do that.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We trim every time we cut. No scalping, and everything gets trimmed and edged. My guys tell me that I am a fanatic about it, but my name is my business. It all pays off in the end. :cool:

9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I had an account a while back where I would only trim once every other week. Sometimes I would go every 3rd week. However each week I would do a quick lap around the house and some other stuff. The reason for that though, is that it took 2 1/2 hrs to trim the place, and it should have probably taken 3 hrs if I had done this one extra part :( It was the people's weekend house, and they didn't care, so long as the grass was cut. They liked the natural look. The higher the lawn was cut, the happier they were. Worked at another place for a friend, the home owner had a guy who works for him that does the trimming. I am pretty sure that guy only trims every other week, possibly every 3rd week. However to trim that place would be at least 8 hrs. My friend did a cemetary for several years, they would trim every other week. However it took 2 man days to do the trimming there.

10. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

CHEEP LOOK EVery time u mow u whack:D