weed wacker

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by muddstopper, Jun 6, 2006.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Well, it finally happened. My almost 20 year old husky trimmer gave up the ghost. It was a 31cc straight shaft trimmer that proved to be pretty good trimmer. Now i am considering a new one and wanting opinions on whats the best on the market. I thought about doing a search, but since every year someone comes out with a new model, what might of been best in an old post might not apply today. My options thru local dealers are Shindawi, Husky, and Sthil. Needless to say, husky stood tuff and lived a long live, but is there something better out there. I am also considering a trimmer that has the quick attach changeable head for possibly a chainsaw attachment.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It might be a better way to measure lifecycle of a trimmer in terms of hours of use, but since this is hard to gauge, I use yards trimmed as a gauge. Because the thing is, to a homeowner 20 years might translate to 500 yards trimmed at the rate of 25 cuts / year, but then I cut more than that in 1 year, I'd say I average somewhere around 600-700 yards / year...

To me, anything that does at least 1,000 yards is awwwrite... If it does at least 2,000 yards before it craps out, that's as good as I got with my Echo srm-260s and no, I have not found one that will trim 3,000 yards without fail. And yes, I've had them crap out after just one slow and lean year, so 500 yards trimmed and it is dead as well.

Still, 20 years is a good, long time. Wear and tear issues aside, even if I buy something new today and put it underneath my house for the next 10 years, it is amazing if it starts after all that, you might get another Husky if you liked it that much.
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sthil has been very good for us, the 4-mix has low down grunt power.We started converting to the 4-mix in 03 and 04,some of these trimmer's now have hundreds of hours on em. And around here Stihl dealer's abound, one on almost every corner.Husky is a fine trimmer, but there are very few dealer's in my neck of the woods.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I agree on the statement about hrs used rather than actual age. This trimmer had a blade on it more than string. Its final demise is a result of loaning it and it getting leftout side, on the ground, next to a gutter downspout. Mud does wonders to little engines.

as for the 4 strokes. weight might be an issue for my wife. Anyways, seems Husky and Sthil are the only two out of the three brands available in my area that even comes with the quick detach head, so shindawia is out.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The fs 100 is very light, if all you need is a general purpose trimmer.But you won't be able to use attachments, with the 100 .
  6. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I own stihl, rexmax, and husqvarna trimmers. I replaced the stihls with the husqvarnas and this year I bought a redmax bacause I have heard good things. The redmax is a good trimmer but the next trimmer I buy will be a another husqvarna 326