weed wacker ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blowerboy, Dec 12, 2007.

1. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

i have several trimmers/weedwackers, and i noticed that a lot of u guys are taking the sheild of, why and what benifit does it get? How to cut the string or stop it from coming out?

Thanks, Dave.
  2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

most guys do this so they can see the string easer. it is very stupid.. i tell my guys if they do that they better find somewhere else to work.. i can not afford to replace a guys eye {forgot to wear glasses today }

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I Take mine off because it gives better visibility and I can get the string longer. You dont really control the length of the string without a shield so you just eyeball it.
  4. bluetick

bluetick LawnSite Member

When you bump the string out an extra 2 or 3 times it makes a lot of diffirence when you are trying to cover something like a large cemetery plot that you can't get a push mower in. Trust me I know;) . It is also pretty hard on the 'ol weed waker though. Drops 'em down several hundred rpm and strains the pee out of 'em. So if you decide to do make sure it's a good one.
  5. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

the sheild is some of the only protection you have. why take it off, to make it easier to see what you cut. To compensate for lack of experience.. And to go on disability do to a rock in the eye through your saftey glasses oh Yeah you would not wear saftey glasses because they get dirty fast and mess what you can see up as well. I know OF NO REASON to remove the sheild. It does not improve any weedeater function.
  6. Deere Pilot

Deere Pilot LawnSite Member

Some people remove the guard to lighten the weight on the trimmer. I've done this on a couple of my trimmers. Although it does lessen the weight somewhat. The trick comes in not having the string overly long. Having it too long causes problems in many ways. 1. It'll burn the clutch up faster in the trimmer, thus shortening the life of the equip. 2. It cause the motor not to rev up thereby producing less productivity in trimming. If you can master it (the cutting line ) to the perfect length. It gives you a little wider cutting swath from the factory settings which has worked well for me.
  7. clord

clord LawnSite Member

Started with removing guards got tired of everything flying in my face all the time,reinstalled guards and cut about 1"-1 1/2" off the bottom so the string clears.This will give you another 2"-3" of string and keep debris from flying up. When the trimmer starts to bog down because the string is to long turn trimmer side ways so the string hits go full throttle on pavement, concrete, or whatever hard surface to eat the string up untill you hear the motor rev back to high rpms. Works great and fast.
  8. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

Comes off before i leave the dealer parking lot, cant see how people leave them on, its like going from a 30 inch push mower down to a 17 inch..... If your getting stuff in your face, you need to be trained how to use it properly. 11 years and ive never worn safety glasses and never got anything in my eyes, trim level with the ground, dont grind into it!
  9. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

You must be a rookie.
  10. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Hahaha... Yeah, straight ROOKIES!!!!

Whether you keep your guard on or not, stuff will go flinging every which direction.

IF you are a rookie and don't know how to handle your trimmer.

And the pros know how to work with a bigger swath when needed. If it's done when only needed then you aren't going to affect your machine in the least bit. Letting out 2 more inches of line to mow-trim a ditch once a week is not going to have an inkling of an effect on my T242's.... PLEASE!

For all you guard police out there, practice makes perfect but hating doesn't do anything...