Weed Whacker Recommendation Needed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jayhox, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Last year, I bought a Ryobi Weedeater/Trimmer. Without boring you with details, it's the biggest POS I've ever owned in the lawn equipment department. It dies constantly, I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome from revving the trigger trying to keep it running, and I have to pound it on the ground about 6 times to get it to feed me some line. (Yes I know how to load the line properly! ;) )

So, I'm thinking I would like a nice reliable commercial grade trimmer that is powerful, stays running between "whacks", and will last a long time.

Thanks to all you experts in advance.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have a stihl FS 85 R and love it. They don't make it anymore but the 80 will be fine. I have also been looking into RedMax and really like their product. Hope i have helped.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a Stihl, I neglect the heck out of my trimmer and saw by letting them sit for months at a time with fuel in them, Three pull start every time and ready to rock. Oh I use nothing but Tanaka Mix with stabilizer.

4. mcwlandscaping

restrorob, does the tanaka mix come with stabilizer in it? If it does i will start using it! Thanks

5. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

stihl tanaka or redmax.....evrything else is crap payup

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it does and it's supposed to keep the fuel stabilized for up to a year and has a low or no smoke formula. I've left my saw sat in the shop for over 8 months, Pull it out the case shake it up and 3 pull start. I wouldn't use anything else.

7. mcwlandscaping

Thanks, ill get some, i hate having to measure out stabil!

8. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Homelite is the way to go only $100, and I mow close to 8 yards a week and use it just about everyday and some need extensive trimming, its got more than enough power and ive had mine for 2 years and so far every things worked perfectly, starts on the third pull just like its supposed to.

9. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I run a husky 325L and have had no probs so far. Also need to factor in how much $$$ you want to spend.

10. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Since I'm a little dense, could someone enlighten me on what the Tanaka Mix is? I assume the stabilizer is an additive, but this is the first I've heard of these.

Thanks for all your suggestions! It's been very helpful.