weed with pink seedheads ???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Sep 4, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Not sure what this is. Always appears in late summer in sunny areas. It seems to grow about 20 inches tall, and the stem is round. It's pretty and dainty.......I almost hate to mow it down. I find it in low maintenance areas.

Any ideas as to what this is? Thanks. :usflag:

pink seedheads 002.jpg

pink seedheads 003.jpg

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Cool looking. Never have seen it in Ohio.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

Had it in my backyard the past few years toward the very back, but I haven't seen it appear this year so far. My lawn is 635 feet deep, and I often see weird native weeds way back there cuz I don't often spray there (just mow). This pic was taken today just up the street today -- in the ditch in front of our office.

Pretty native plant, for sure. I'm wondering if it's fall panicum??

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

as it gets mature, I'd say yes, it is fall panicum. Otherwise it may be a close relative of fall panicum.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

American,

Look for bent and swolen nodes. If they are present then good chance it is Panicum. The stems should be bent and very noticable.

6. americanlawn

from midwest

Yes, the nodules are swollen and slightly bent. I might forward pics to ISU.??

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Here is what it should look like! Over to the right you can see how the nodes are totally swolen and the bent stems.

Hope this helps!

I am sure ISU will help you out. Let us know what they say!

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/full.asp?fallpanicum

8. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks dude -- your pic doesn't exactly look like it. I emailed Dr. Minner at ISU yesterday, but he's a turfgrass guy. I'm gunna track down a weed science person at ISU right now, and email pics. I'l let you know when I find out. Take care, americanlawn:)

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Please let me know American!

I am thinking it is something else because the nodes do not look swolen enough and the seed head doesn't look right to me. This thing is seeding out everywhere and Panicum only seeds out the top. This thing also doesn't have many leaves which Panicum has quite a bit of foliage.

Have you tried to ID it in any books with the characteristics of the plant?

10. americanlawn

from midwest

Just got confirmation today from Iowa State University.

Eragrostis spectabilis (Purple Love Grass). 1 - 2 foot tall. Somewhat unusual in the upper midwest, typically native in zones 5 - 9.

Florists sell it -- now wonder I didn't want to mow it down. Cool 'eh?