Weedeat or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wendicp, Aug 20, 2007.

1. wendicp

wendicp LawnSite Member

We mow a 70acre police academy. On one side there is a huge hill where they do there shooting practice. We are having to weedeat this hill. You can't mow it because there is a chainlink fence that runs the perimeter at the end on each side. Do you have any suggestions? The walk-behinds aren't able to make it up the hill. Thanks

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

if there wasa gate could you get a mower on the hill or is too steep? If you can get a mower on the hill and the only thing stopping you is access, maybe you talk with the range master and talk about having a locked gate installed. explaining that it would help them lower their maintenance costs.
    plus make fro quicker work and less range downtime

Another option would be to chemically mow with growth regs. or purchase a "flymo" mower.....

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I dont like to eat weeds!

But if I had to trim this area I would either use a regular trimmer or something similar to a DR Trimmer if that can make it on the hill.

4. wendicp

wendicp LawnSite Member

We have access to the hill but it is too steep to mow. What kind of growth regulators would you use?

5. MarcSmith

if you can't get a regular mower. than the flymo would work...only about 21" wide...they kind of "float" over the ground...

but embark would be the PGR of choice...

6. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Marc,

What rate do you like to mix oz. to gal using embark ?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The only problem with that, is that Embark does not work on weeds.

8. MarcSmith

never used any PGR's, except on things like illiagnus and oleander in florida and that was a decade ago....But I'm sure there are a few people here who haves used mroe erscent PGR's and can better answer your question...

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I guess while we're at it, and you DO bring up a good suggestion,...we COULD look in to a mix of gly at the growth regulation rates.

10. MarcSmith

the Gly would solve the selectivity of other pgr's