Weedeater Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mloolara, Apr 27, 2007.

1. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

I am going to purchase a gas trimmer (weedeater) for residential use. I know that I want a straight shaft. I do not want to spend a ton but want one that is good, dependable, and light.

I was thinking of going to Lowes or Home Depot but depending on the comments received, I will go elsewhere as long as the make/model recommended is available in Baton Rouge, Louisiana or the nearby parishes.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

You're gonna get a lot of opinions, so i'll start:

I chose an Echo SRM 210......why?

Excellent Dealer support

Powerful enough for medium duty trimming (and i've done prolly 10 severly heavy duty jobs with it)

Light 11.?? LBs

REALLY comfy...they make a luxurious handle

Easy to start....little effort needed to prime once, choke, pull 3-4 times or less, sparks up, pull down to half choke, starts, pull down to run and there ya go.

CHEAP....i walked outta the door paying $218 after tax

3. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I agree :) I used one for my first 3 years in the business, still use it for a backup right now though
    Jake

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I am also running an Echo SRM 210. Its been a great unit and given me 2 years of service so far. All I have done to it was just normal routine maint.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl FS90R...........DON'T GO HOME DEPOT OR LOWES!!!

6. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

What do you meen by residential use? does that meen just on your property or on many residential properties.
    Stihl, RedMax, Echo any many others make small commerial grade straight shaft trimmers that are affordable ( under $300). Some make tough residential models too. Yes don't settle for the Home Cheepo garbage.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo is the way to go for me

8. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

I have 2 SRM-210's...enough power for my use, inexpensive enough to replace when needed.(haven't had to yet)...both bought from Echo Dealers for $1 more than Home Depot.

9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm throwing another Echo vote in there.
    210 for whacking grass.
    260 if you're going to do heavy work.

Shindawa also has a nice residential unit..... I can't recall the #
    If I was equipping a strictly nice area maintenance trailer, I'd be inclined to throw one in there to see how it does.

10. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i run all srm 260s anymore but the srm210 was my first real trimmer...before that i had a 500 dollar kazz that was nice but just too heavy for throwing around for lawns....

if you wanted a step up go with the srm 230 at home depot, i think its 249 sinstead of 219....the guys always take the guards off the spinner head and seemed to burn the clutches off the srm210 in no time, they seemed to last longer when i stepped up to the 230

but from what other people said maybe go to a dealer, youre gonna pay basicly the same thing.....ive head of the big box stores buying "exclusive cheaper made merchandise" off of manufacturers....so they can sell the item 10 bucks cheaper yet theyre making tons more than a dealer would....because the cheaper stuff has one less bolt here...etc

this is especially true with pipe fittings, theyre thinner than a plumbing store...faucets wear out faster...power tools..all kindsa stuff