Weedeater Blower Recoil Starter Changing

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tdixon, Sep 21, 2004.

1. tdixon

tdixon LawnSite Member

How do I get the blower fan nut loose so I can change the recoil starter behind a Weedeater Featherlight gas blower?

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I am assuming that the fan is plastic. DO NOT stick anything into the blades of the fan to hold it, if it is plastic. You can only use your hands. If you have an air gun, not ratchet, blast it quick and it will break loose. Put a glove on your hand, and keep your fingers out of range. No air gun, then shock it with a ratchet and a hammer. A SMART blow onto the ratchet with the hammer and it is loose. Again, use a gloved hand.

3. tdixon

tdixon LawnSite Member

Jim, I tried that, with the hammer and ratchet, with no success - nut is really tight!

4. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Right hand or left hand threads on nut?

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Take a minute and determine, for sure, wether it is right or left hand thread. Then we can go from there.

6. tdixon

tdixon LawnSite Member

It is right-hand thread. I used a piece of crank rope in the sparkplug hole to stop the piston in the down position. This immobilized the fan and I was able to loosen and then retighten the nut. Thanks for your help!

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

how did spanish fort fair in the damage?? It's pretty down there

8. tdixon

tdixon LawnSite Member

Many trees down, some roof damage. Some areas, especially Spanish Fort Estates were really hard hit by trees on houses and cars.