Weedeater Guards or not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1Cleancut, Jul 16, 2005.

1. 1Cleancut

1Cleancut LawnSite Member

Been in business about 4 mos... I have noticed many proffesional guys removing their deflector sheilds on all their weedeaters, does anyone have an opinion on the pros/cons of doing this. I haven't done it yet because it seems like you would have problems with excessive flying debris and that the trimmer line would
    tend to wear uneven without the shields knife edge...Thanks :help:
  2. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I would say guards on and wear a face mask in areas. Why the trimmers throw debris and you can bust your teeth. Looking cool or keeping your teeth? I will never take mine off.
  3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I've had absolutely no injurys due to no guards on my trimmers. For eye protection i sometimes wear sun glasses.
    Guards, IMO, are annoying and get in the way. It is easier without them. And i hate the knife that cuts your line. If my line gets too long i just grind it against a rock. That knife actually makes you use more line.
    If your afraid of getting hurt leave em' on
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree 100 percent, I tried it both ways and found:
    - The silly little guard on a commercial weed-eater is like the mud-flap on a dirtbike: It doesn't stop much debris from flying your way, and it impairs your useful angle as it tends to lodge itself on rocks and sidewalks and other things. The easiest way to stop catching rocks with your teeth is practice, correct angle is key to this - Also, use Round-up on gravel driveways helps a whole lot because unfortunately you WANT to aim the debris towards yourself (just not directly at you).
    - I like running a loooong line myself and find the knife impairs this. I run .080 and I like about a foot of line either side of head. Far as it getting uneven, the line constantly wears while weed-eating and the outer edges wear the most so the line stays even despite the missing knife. In addition, I agree with the above statement: The knife wastes more line AND you can always rub it off some against rocks or asphalt.
    - For protection, I wear shaded safety goggles, Stihl sells these wide sunglass-like devices for about 7.99 but you can find other brands for less and yes, sunglasses work also BUT the goggles wrap further. The shaded goggles look cool, I would never get no geeky rubber-band with the holes in the side eye shield.

Besides, I love the danger, the risk... And yes, it does hurt to catch a pebble in the lip but you will likely catch this anyway, guard or not.
  5. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

I just picked up a 12 pack of safty goggles at sams club 22$ plus tax clear and tinted. just open up a box and mix them up.
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Do you have employees? OSHA wants them there and insurance company will. Personally I find them bulky and annoying and take them off.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No guards on our trimmers some like em some don't you do what suits you.
  8. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

Even with a guard I've been hit with stuff. Just today a nail that someone dropped off the edge of a sidewalk came up and hit the bill of my hat. I've been hit with rocks and such too. I usually wear wrap around sun glasses but I have seemed to misplaced them lately..... I have never tried it without a guard but if it saves string I'm all for it :cool:
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Guards on...they're there for a reason! Would you take your windshield off your car?
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I snapped the guard off an echo trimmer a few years ago when it was dropped. I picked it up, took the rest of the guard off and kept going.

Years later, I dont know how I ever worked with those stupid things on!