Weedeater Head Favorite?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Mar 4, 2003.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone tried the new Redmax bump feed head. I saw one at the GIE. I was real excited because it looked like the Green Machine head with a couple of improvements. THe bump button had a metal rod in it so it wouldn't wear as quickly. Also, the eyelets were replaceable and I think the spool had a divider down the middle to keep the two strings separated.

I have always like the Green Machine heads because they cut nicely and aren't too sensitive on the bumping. I have a couple of shindaiwa bump heads and they feed so quickly on small bumping (like when you are trying to get under a bush) that I can run a spool out in just a few minutes even with 0.095 line. It doesn't wear that quickly, it feeds too quickly.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I used to go through string too fast like you when I first got my Stihl. Took a while to get used to it because my old trimmer kept jamming up unless you hit it just right, but now I do not go through string that fast since I am used to it. It's just the regular Stihl bump and feed head that uses dual .095" lines. I have wondered about the auto cut heads that automatically feed line, how do they work?

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use VERI heads (they come on Echos from the factory) on my Shindaiwas. I have tried others but the VERI head is easy to reload and you can replace any of the parts in it if need be.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I alsi use Veri heads, model VP70. These are the fully automatic heads. Not many here use them. Over te past year Ive bought a total of 20 of them on eBay. For a total cost of less than $200.

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I also like the VERI (Echo)head. I like it because you can put alot more string on them.... and they are durable, but I do like the idea of the re-enforced button..I can make a head last all season if not longer if the button wouldnt wear out so fast.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I am an 'old fuddy duddy' but I remove the bump n feed and put on a manual (Echo) but then the blade that trims the line length also was removed.
    BobR

7. Pinkribbon518

Pinkribbon518 LawnSite Member

:dancing:

I have always taken pride in doing my own lawn, but since the day I bought my first string trimmer I have always hated the bump spool systems. I've tried many others but this last year I found the one I have been waiting for!

Its called the PIVOTRIM and I guess they call it that cause the lines can swing or pivot around. This seems to make the line last a lot longer and never seems to break off like the other ones. The first time I tried it I cut my whole yard without stopping (something I have never done before.)

I bought it at WAL-MART for under $20 but it is worth much more than that to me. I definitel recommend it and the the company (Better Heads) offers a money-back guarantee for your satisfaction. They aren't getting mine though!

I got this picture from their website.

PIVOTRIM - PRODUCT PHOTO HQ copy-MEDIUM.jpg

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Spam! And a really dumb product. You can keep your cheap-azz Walmart trimmer head.

9. steve m

steve m LawnSite Member

I like echo rapid loader on all my trimmer like it states it is fast

10. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

We use the Stihl 25-2 bump heads and get pretty good performance from them. The only aggravating thing is how fast the button wears out. I buy spools by the dozen solely because the buttons wear down. Anybody have a good tip on how to make them last longer?