Weedeater recommendations

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by deerslayer, May 1, 2005.

1. deerslayer

deerslayer LawnSite Member

I am in need of a new weedeater and would like to get some recommendations. I have a good amount of weedeating around my house, some brush I need to clear (probably need a blade) and I have one commercial account that has a ditch around the property that I can't get my exmark into. In talking to a local dealer, I have looked at the Stihl FS80 and a Robin 2450. He also has Redmax but isn't pushing them very hard right now. The Robin appears to be the better weedeater vs. the Stihl. More features for the price. The dealer said that many of his commercial guys were using the Robin. Anybody have experience with it. I definately want a straight shaft. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I love my FS80R!!! My dealer had Shindy, Echo, and Stihl. Would have like to tried a RedMax or other brands (maybe Robin) but the closest dealers stocking them were 25 miles away. I like staying close to home when buying from a dealer, because I buy from them for their product support.

The Shindy was nice, but I felt better buying the Stihl because Ive had good luck with their other products in the past. And things like the metal clutches, etc. And with the 80, you can swap for the 85 driveshaft and then use the *real* attachments on it (not the quick disconnect/homeowner setup, they make attachments that bolt onto the end of the trimmer shaft). Im very impressed with the way it trims, just a little disappointed in the direction (it spins CCW, Ive always been used to CW, so it took a little getting used to).

-Chris

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Robin 2050 and it does everything I need it too, weighs only 8.5 pounds and it can run a blade also. I have 3 of them and use them everyday. The oldest is 3 years old and going strong

4. deerslayer

deerslayer LawnSite Member

Another reason I am leaning towards the Robin is the weight. The 2450 weighs less than 10 lbs. (9.7 I think), which is lighter than the stilh. I though about getting a 4 stroke, but I think I would be prefer a lighter weedeater. Anybody using a 4-stroke weedeater?