1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weedeater Shaft Engagement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by arztraveler, Nov 20, 2006.

1. arztraveler

arztraveler LawnSite Member

I have a 25cc Homelite Weedeater. (Curved Shaft)

It needed a little maintenance, so in the process of overhauling the small engine, the flexible drive cable came out of the curved shaft.

So ...

Now that the drive shaft (speedometer-cable) has come out, I am unable to get the drive shaft to re-engage the coupler at the bottom of the curved shaft. As a result, the lower head will not spin and I am also not able to fit the unit back on the engine. The cable sticks out too far now because it is not seated.

As a cycle the cable in and out, or rotate the cable while rotating the lower unit, I can never get positive engagement. Every once in a while it wants to grab while I rotate the cable, but it never truly engages, because it will slip right away.

Any suggestions on how to get the cable to re-engage and seat properly so I can close the beast up and finish my yard. :)

I am very close to drilling a small hole towards the bottom of the curved shaft to help align the cable, but before I did that I thought I'd ask the experts.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I am not familiar with curved shafts. Most all professionals use straght shafts. I am however familiar with Homelite products and if you want my opinion throw the thing in the garbage and buy a Huskavarna, Robi or an Echo or other high end trimmer.They run forever and you get what you pay for.
  3. arztraveler

Agreed ... but for what I throw at it, this unit has peformed quite well.

Hindsight is allways 20/20, so rather than turn this thread into a product bashing, I'll take the heat for letting the cable come loose during disassembly and would prefer to focus on correcting my mistake.

If there are any helpful pointers out there on how to re-engage the drive it would be appreciated.

4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

YA..don't frigg'n throw it out!!how very unhelpful..i had to replace my cable on my 'weedeater' brand, i've no idea how if it's different than mine was,but i had a awful time putting mine in too,after wasted hrs i just JB-weld it in there and it has stayed in over 8 yrs that way..it finally gave up the ghost this summer.I wanted to use the engine for a scooter,so while dismantling it,my problem was the opposite of getting the JB-welded cable off,having to grind it off...something for you to think about anyways Arztraveler.
  5. arztraveler

Well I couldn't stand it anymore ...

I decided to drill a 1/4" pilot hole 3" up from the base of the curved shaft assembly on the outside of the curve. The thought being that if I could push on the straight cable and assist with the alignment it would go in easier.

By plain luck the hole I drilled was high enough above the coupler and just below the plastic centering insert so I was still able to view the cable.

With the cable in sight, I gently pushed it away from the tubing wall towards the center of the tubing with the tip of a nail while I rotated the lower unit. In about 10 seconds it aligned, engaged, and was fully seated in the coupler.

Problem solved. Bolted everything back together and it works like a champ.

Now I'll just tape the hole to keep debris out and remember to not mess with the cable the next time I clean the engine.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

For my info....could you have taken off the gearbox at the trimmer head end and put the cable in then put the gear box back on? That is how I remember doing it on the old Sears curved shaft.
  7. arztraveler

ed2hess ...

This model is, as some have mentioned, a "low end" model, so the curved shaft assembly was not designed to be maintenance friendly. No grease fittings or other access ports. The gearbox in the end end of the curved shaft is press fit into the mechanism and totally concealed. No real way to get at it that I could tell. (Maybe a puller of sorts, but the aluminum tube its pressed into is pretty thin) Basically its a throw away mechanism, because the replacement part is sold as one piece including the cable. I did "get what I paid for" but managed to take one of my nine lives back by putting it back together again.