Weedeater String Blues

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jct9841, May 25, 2005.

1. jct9841

jct9841 LawnSite Member

I have an old Ryobi weedeater that has not worked well from day one in terms of the string feeding with a bump and I am constantly having to take it apart and rethread it.

What should I consider as a more trouble free replacement?

Thanks in advance,
  2. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

I love my Black and Decker Grass Hog. It's electric, but I can get anywhere in my yard with a 100 foot power cord. There's no bumping required, it feeds automatically. You can also turn it 180 degrees and it locks into place to make edging very easy.

Probably not feasible for most yards, but it works for me!!
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Least expensive echo gas powered is $189-199. No power cords to mess with and will run like a scalded dog. Uses thick (.095" line).
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Go to eBay and search for the guy selling Robin, light commercial duty string trimmers.
    They have a Buy It Now of just $129 + $20 for shipping.

These are way better then any Craftsman, Ryobi, etc.

They aren't quite the power of a Redmax or Shin, but those are $265-$300 trimmers.

The Robin is super light weight, it's like a friggin' feather, but is much better then the cheapy homeowner grade trimmers!

It starts on the first or second pull every time, and the bump head works great with no problems.

This is a great trimmer for homeowners that want something better then the usual homeowner junk, but don't want to spend a fortune for a full on commercial trimmer.

It would also be a great choice as an inexpensive back up trimmer for LCO's.

If you can't find the seller on eBay, let me know, and I'll find it and link it here.
  5. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I bought a Stihl FS-80 (http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS80R.html) last year and this thing cranks. Never sputters, plenty of power and fairly light. It even started on the first pull after sitting dormant over the winter. It was pricey - I think $249 but well worh the money.

Good luck.
  6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Manually advance the line.

Stop the engine. Take the head in both hands, and squeeze the spool (part with the little bump button on it). Pull the ends of the line; the spool will pop out. Repeat until you get enough line, prolly 2 squeezes.

You will learn to trim with the TIP of the line, and your line will last 10 times longer!
  7. jct9841

jct9841 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies all!

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have 3 of thoose trimmers and use them commercially, the oldest has 3 seasons on it now. I purchased my last from ebay from that same guy and he is a good person to deal with
  9. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

You mentioned that the Royobi never "advanced" the cutting line well. How's the engine? If the engine seems to powerful enough, just replace the head on it. The dealer I just bought my Echo from had plenty of them in stock and they work REALLY well.

If you do decide to replace the Royobi altogether, I love my Echo 210 and would recommend it to anyone. I think it's 10 or 11lbs, cost me about $200.00 and has more power than I'll ever need on my 1/2 acre.