Weedeater string breaking

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BubbaD, Sep 18, 2007.

1. BubbaD

BubbaD LawnSite Member

My Echo weedeater string is constantly breaking and I have to stop, take off the head and extend the line again. This has always been a problem, and I need a solution.

This happens when I am trimming my chain link fence and when edging the driveway. I have tried spooling the line together and have put my finger between the lines to separate them and it still happens. There must be a way to spool weedeater string so it does not break all the time.

HELP*trucewhiteflag*

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean that somehow, the monofilament is retracting into the head? What kind of line are you using? Since you said Echo, is it their CrossFire line?

3. BubbaD

BubbaD LawnSite Member

Yes, the line retracts into the head and I have to stop, take the head off to string the line outside the head.

I am using .95 purchased at the John Deere dealer. I have had this problem with the round and square line.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You just need some practice trimming. You need to keep a good bit of line out or it will wear down until it falls back inside the spool. Also check to make sure you are winding correctly.

5. BubbaD

BubbaD LawnSite Member

Is this why I see the pro's using weedeaters without the guard, so they can see the line?

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

also take a look at the weedeater head. there are usually grommets were the string comes out of the head. sometimes the grommets get a groove worn in them and can provide an edge for the string to get cut...The grommets are usually just pressed in place and can rotated. 180*

Chain link fence is murder on string trimmer line...

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I got some type of Gator line at Home Depot and it works really well on chain link, you may try it...I will have to see what the exact name is, but after using Echo brand line I will not ever use Echo again...it breaks to easily.

8. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

Sounds like the line isn't feeding. Why I'm not sure.

The above posts gave the reasons I can think of.
    I went to the thicker string, but that won't solve your problem.

Chain link fence does eats a lot of string, if it gets caught up in it. Good Luck.

9. NNL&LS

NNL&LS Banned
    from zone 5

Spray round up where you would normally trim. problem solved. put the trimmer on ebay.

10. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

String is not all made the same. Look at tensile strengh. for example.....the red .095 at the echo stores that is echo labeled is made by spectra and is about 65#, while the smae size from Stihl (they make their own in VA beach) is just over 100#.
    Also use only round line. Square, diaganol etc etc is measured at the fattest point, once you start to use it it loses that shape and becomes round, but is much smaller.
    DO NOT run the machine with no guard!! It is absolutley horrible for the trimmers. 2" of extra string out raises the temp at the spark plug by 130 degrees and drops the RPM's by over 2,000! This is a BAD practice I have seen alot of guys running the string out past the guard by a foot or more.

Good luck with the string issue.