Weedeater types??

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by BotetourtBoy3, Apr 19, 2007.

1. BotetourtBoy3

BotetourtBoy3 LawnSite Member

What is the differeance in stright and curved shaft weedeaters?

2. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Straight shaft will usually last longer as far as the shaft goes because there is no bend and the flex drive shaft does not rub or wear as much (you can also get solid drive shaft on the straight ones). Also, some say more power to the head on the straight shaft. Some say the bent ones are easier to use and reach over obstacles with. The straight one lets you reach out farther and under objects better...

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A straight shaft trimmer has a gear box and spins the opposite way of a curved shaft because of this. You are usually limited on power also from a curved shaft. Straight shaft is the only way to go IMO.

4. jack carson

jack carson LawnSite Member

have you ever used one of those edge discs?
    I saw that but don'[t know if it's worth it or not but the video i saw was pretty neat

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Curved shafts are made for Midgets and home owners....LOL

6. Rizzo

from Iowa

I use the straight shaft trimmers but for some reason my dealer says he sells alot of curved shaft ones to the larger LCO's in this area. He isn't sure why they prefer them.

7. Berettaman

Berettaman LawnSite Member

What straight shaft wacker would you guys rec.? I'm doing 5 lawns a week for now.

8. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

John Deere... I love mine

9. Rizzo

from Iowa

echo or stihl... or any commercial brand that you can get serviced locally...

10. Simplylawncare

Simplylawncare LawnSite Member

Straight shaft only, Echo or Stihl for long term reliability, Husky or Kawasaki for balance and weight, you can run with them and have an awesome look when your done.