Weedeating help......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I have the possibility of getting a rather large mowing contract....unfortunately the same peoperty also has massive amounts of weedeating.....

I spoke w/ the owner and they said they absoultely did not want us to use any sprays on the property (no use of Embark or ****** griwth suppressors here)...

My question is, what is the best way to take care of massive amounts of weedeating with out killing yourself or having to hire a bunch of people to weedeat.....I have tried to use the factory support strap for my weedeater but it doesn't seem to help the arms alot because the property has alot of varied terrain and it ends up you have to carry the weedeater more than the strap does (if everything was fairly level the strap could be used to support the weight alot but the ups and downs and the need to get the weedeater under trees and bushes negate the straps effectiveness and hinders the motion of the weedeater too much....I thought of using the DR wheeled string trimmer on wheels but the hills would kill you pushing that thing around......I think somebody told me of a backpack weedeater ? (engine
    etc on your back so only weight you carry w/ your arms is the shaft and the trimmer head)......Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated (I currently use a Shindaiwa T-270).....I have a 230 that is lighter but not as much power for the thicker stuff). ....
    Thanks for your help.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah there is a backpack weedeater.....
    Forgot who makes it....
    I will see if I can find it....

Solo makes a couple of them!
  3. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Your best bet would probably be just to use that 230 because I've been mowing for a friend for a couple of weeks now using his 230, and I've cut some thick stuff, and all I do when I work for him is weedeat and blow for 5-7 hours a day.

Mark Wood
    Wood Brothers Lawn Care
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Two ways to go about this.
    1. hire some fool for 8 bucks an hour to weed eat for you and charge accordingly.
    2. Dont take the job.
    Either that or suck it up and build those muscles up.
    JMO not much else to do.
    Oh have you tried one of the weed eaters with the handle bars? big leverage thing there.
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

use the 230 and get an oregon quik loader with three line cutting.
    put some flexiblade in it and your good to go.
  6. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

How many hours are you looking at?

We used to do a cemetery and the weed eating was about 2 hours of work to trim the headstones. We use Redmax (not sure if they are considered to be light or heavy) and nobody ever complained about the weight issue.

I would just be sure to factor the weed eating cost into the price.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If they won't let you use chemicals, they must pay the price. By the way, why won't they let you use the growth suppressors?
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I would deffinatelly charge accordingly, show them the price diff between spraying, and you trimming. If they won't cooperate roll, or hire a dude to trim.. or two.
  9. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

i know this is extremely old... But does shindawia still make the backpack trimmer. I saw one today on a trailer and stopped and talked to the guy and he swears by that thing. Thanks and sorry for the old thread being dug out.