Weeding beds in winter?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Turf Professionals Inc., Nov 5, 2007.

1. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Hey guys! I was pondering the other day any good reasons why I could not do bed cleanups in winter. I have some clients that want me to redo their overgrown, out of control landscapes. Any reason why I could not go ahead and strip these landscapes bare in the winter months and begin prep for next sprint e.g install some top soil, lime, etc.... I just cant think of any reasons why I could not do these jobs to bring in some winter income. Any insight would be helpful! Thanks

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go for It ...living way south as you are...Good plan you have there.

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful with your amendments, considering Florida is one giant limerock, you probably don't need to go crazy with adding lime. Otherwise, fall/winter is perfect in our state for that stuff. Not too stressful on plants.

4. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help guys

5. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Can you tell me why you add lime?
    I see this once in a while, but didn't really know you guys do this. Thanks, Jay

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Lime raises soil pH, sulfur lowers soil pH

Lime is typically very helpful on lawns up north where most people are trying to grow grass in former pine forests with soil running a pH of 4 or just a little higher.

Lime will really help a ton in super acidic situations.

7. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hummm.....I have a pine tree in the front yard which the grass has trouble growing, so you think a little lime would help?
    If so, how much do I put down? The are in question is only about 10 sq.ft.
    Thanks