1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weeding by hand...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by thes, Jul 28, 2006.

1. thes

thes LawnSite Member

(I posted this in another thread, but I'm hoping it'll get more answers here)

"Weeding by hand"....for those of you that WILL do that...what is your hourly rate? Just curious...

We have one customer that the termite guy told not to get mulch...so, that leaves us with lots of weeds to pull, since the weeds are coming up around pachysandra and other plants that would die if we sprayed anything.
    Anyway, it took 5 man hours to pull weeds out of one large bed. We charged $38/hr....now I'm rethinking my price. Any input would be appreciated.
  2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

That price sounds fine to me. We charge close to the same here in Cincy where things are cheaper than in Jersey. Do you think your price is too low?
  3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

for me i charge $60/hr for any manual labor. I usually charge a minium of $25 if it is under 25 miuntes. I also charge them for materials, dumping, etc on top of the $60/hr when it applies. LawnInOrder
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We do a boat load of hand weeding each year at $55 an hour.
  5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Is that 55/man hr? No way you get that around here. Most are around 30-35/hr.
  6. rodfather

yes...and we have some estates that we do for 75 an hour, no complaints
  7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i charge every friggin penny i can because i hate it. won't do it for less than $60/hr.
  8. rodfather

good for you my friend :clapping:
  9. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of people do you work for? Maybe it is the higher cost of living in the boston area. Hardscape companies charge 40-45/man hr. So you mean to tell me that you can charge 600 per day for one guy and pay him what 150 or so per day? So if you have a two man crew, you can bring in 4 grand a month after you pay them? Great for you if you get it. People around here can barely afford their mortgage let alone a landscaper and I live in a very desirable town.
  10. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $100/hr for a 3man crew, 1 hour minimum rate.