1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weeding flower bed help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dgreen67, Jul 15, 2007.

1. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

I am trying to weed several large flower beds. I was looking for some input on what others do to clear flower beds. I am no stranger to two handed pulling, but was curious to see if there is a more efficient way. Has anyone ever used a small tiller and then racked out the weeds? I am planning on remulching the beds afterwards.

thanks for any advice
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a total bed clean-up ,are there flowers and shrubs ??
  3. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

yes, there are flowers and shrubs in the bed already, so it does require some care

thanks for responding
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

If your doing this yourself charge 40-50 bucks an hour to hand pull weeds. How long do you think it will take to do the Job,remember the yard bags and possible dump fee's. Are there any 4 ft weeds :laugh: are the beds in bad shape ?
  5. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

thanks for your input

I charge 40 an hour for this type of work. I don't mind pulling weeds by hand, I just was curious if others used different methods
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I think you're pretty limited to what you can do if there are flowers and shrubs that need to be preserved.
  7. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

I agree with you, I was also thinking of using dynamite to clear the beds, but I do want to save the hydrangeas.

Plus, you probably need some sort of license to apply dynamite:)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Charge a LOT for weed pulling...although it's one of those mundane, no-equipment jobs, nobody likes doing it. It's hard to find LCO's that will pull weeds. So make it worth your time.

As for the dynamite :) I used to live very near a rock quarry and they have to notify the Bureau of Mining (think that's it) with their blasting schedule. But you could probably get away with it once or twice :laugh:
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We do a lot of bed cleanup on commericial properties weekly.....outside of using chemicals we started using an irrigation digging shovel. It has a very sharp tip and not very wide and long handle. Very easy to cut nut grass or even small tree starts in around flowers and other plants.
  10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

i have the tool for you it is a Japanese weeding knife,its like a big hunting thing only mutch thicker with a serrated edge on the back.my gardening crew uses them every day of the week ,we do a lot of flower gardens,i think gardeners suppliers has them,good luck!