Weeding flower beds

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jaredslawnserv, Jun 6, 2008.

1. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

anyone offer weeding services? i mean, weeding is time consuming but it pays good. any advice is appreciated.

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

We weed - all weeding is hand done - hands and knees, sifting through everything to get all the roots out. Yes, it's expensive, but we have never had a callback.

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We do it but it is not one of the more profitable aspects of the company. $65 per man hour is nearly impossible to get around here for this service because it is time consuming and the results are not as noticeable as other services. I prefer to do full cleanups with mulch and edge included---plantings will add to the profit ratio too.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

100.00 Per hour per person.....

you MUST pay for any part of an hour....

Of corse were very expensive.....

were NOT for everyone

5. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I hate weeding, but what you can do is once the beds are weeded, once a week go around with round up and spray every little thing you see coming up. Do this every week then you only have to hand weed, where weeds are growing next to plants, about once every two months. I don't know what you can charge, but people don't think weeding is worth much.

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

did a few weeding jobs this spring...made some money but hated every min of it..(too time consuming).....subbing it out from now on.

7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

that what i do, spot spray with roundup once a month, got to be careful though not to get over spray..i take the nozzle and put it down on the weed/grass in the landscape bed and give it one spritz. works every time! :dancing:

8. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

This is why God invented glyphosate and pre-emergents.

9. greeneyes

greeneyes LawnSite Member

We do weeding too, it's even on the business card. But $65 - $100 hr? No equipment, no gas, just labor & overhead? I've got guys who HATE to weed, so I keep them edging, digging & anything requiring power equipment when we're doing spring clean ups/mulching. It really depends on what you mean by weeding. I do maintenance at a bunch of my properties, I even weed one guy's vegy garden. The only knowledge this requires is "pull the stuff growing between the plants". If you're maintaining a perennial garden, then you need to know what's a weed and what's NOT a weed, what to deadhead & how, etc. Then a high hourly $ is appropriate of course. I guess it depends on how big you are and what your best skills are. You need to talk to your customer so you both agree as to what weeding really means. Also, all my customers know that maintenance is not done on mowing days. On mowing days all we do is mow, mow, mow. I'm in Chester County, so anybody wanting to sub some weeding, let me know.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And add weed eater to this list....