Weeding gardens

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dakota2000, Jul 3, 2007.

1. dakota2000

dakota2000 LawnSite Member
    from Ottawa

Hi,

I have a few customers that are asking to weed there gardens and I'm not quite sure what to charge for this service. Basically I'd have to drive there, bring hand tools whatever is needed and do the work. What do you guys normally charge for this. I was thinking around $25/hr. Would be just me.
    Let me know!

Thanks guys!!

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

that means if you busted your butt for eight hours in the dirt on your hands and knees you would get 200 bucks, is that worth it to you? i dont know about you but i can barely scrape by on 200 a day, you have taxes, insurance, gas, etc. dont tell them your hourly rate, look at the job and tell the how much it will cost them to have it done.

3. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

man, don't sell yourself short. I charge 80 to 90 an hour for weeding. I hate to weed, the customer really hates to weed or the weeds would already be pulled. Therefore, you are doing something that the customer hates to do and should be able to charge a premium.
    Now, with my 80 to 90 an hour I have at least two guys, usually three doing the work.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Is that per man hour you are charging?

5. dakota2000

dakota2000 LawnSite Member
    from Ottawa

Ok, so typically in my area I am charging $50/hr for landscaping jobs etc.
    How many guys would I need weeding to cover this. Obviously more people means less hours charged to the customer. I have two helpers available when I need them.

In the past when I told customer $50/hr they just were not interested for small jobs such as weeding. One other thing I wanted to know was if there should be a minimum charge? Let me know! Thanks for the advice so far.

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Some women got me to trim a few bushes and pull some weeds and I said $175.00.. It ended up taking 5 hours to do it.
    Your going to hate learning from your own mistakes! I do.

7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

this is primarily what i do do. i like to call it landscape maintenance. i take care of all the weeding, shrub and perennial care, mulch install, leaf cleanup...whatever just no mowing. my minimum is $45 per hr per man

i will also do minor landscape renovations and have a designer on staff

8. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

By yourself, $50/hour should be an absolute minimum. It's dirty, hot, nasty work that nobody wants to do.

Remember it will always take longer than you think, specially in the heat so start as early as you can. It will make a huge difference.

Do not quote your hourly rate, some people will think you are a ripoff because they don't think the way we do. Take the opportunity to try to sign them up for regular service including regular weeding, for a premium.

In the end it will be cheaper to them and more profitable for you. Also, if you play your cards right you shoul be able to convince them into applying mulch to better control the weeds.

Let's see, $50/hour, possible high profit mulch job, possible new regular customer. Don't you feel better now? :waving:

9. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

Well I messed myself over. I did a huge weeding job yesterday and charged them $30 an hour. It was hard work and I started around 6 am. I thought what I was charging was a little low but didn't know for sure. I also trimmed up some hedges for them too in that time period for the same charge. I'll have to do a little adjusting on the prices.

10. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

This is why I stay away from weeding gardens. Too much time involved, not enough money, and it's actually "work." I'd rather stick to mowing 75 lawns with the occasional hedge trim, leaf clean-up until I find some employees that want to get on their hands/knees and pull weeds. I think old people like to do that, but I wouldn't feel right asking them to come work for me!