1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dmkosko, Aug 24, 2009.

1. dmkosko

dmkosko LawnSite Member

How do you guys charge for customers that want weeding done? Thanks
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

By the hour because weeding sucks!
  3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

$180.00 per hour for a three man crew. port to port.
  4. curbappealco

curbappealco LawnSite Member

I charge 49/hr. per man, however, we do not weed. We simply use a hedge trimmer/string trimmer to knock the weeds down to the ground and spray using groundwork from tractor supply instead of roundup which has gotten weaker as the years go on. We are usually going to cover with mulch anyway so this method works great and is alot quicker!
  5. Mike Custom

Mike Custom LawnSite Member

You have to feel out the customer...some wont pay 40-50 an hour for weeding...when its a low risk day laborer job that they can pay 10 bucks an hour for.
  6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Then you do not want that client.
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Then they can go downtown and pick up someone they dont know to do it. We easily get our hourly labor rate to pull weeds because they dont want to do it.
  8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I client of mine has bought an overgrown foreclosure. Grass was only cut twice this year. The front and sides were just overgrown grass, no problem. Now the back had weeds of every kind over 6 ft. tall. I did the front and sides for $100 and brought my DR brushmower out for the back and charged him $300. My issue is one side of the driveway has a 3 tier retaining wall with thick weeds that need pulled out or shoveled out. The other side of the driveway has railroad ties lining it and thick weeds right along the property line which is a steep hill. He wants me to finish up the cleanup but we cannot come to an agreement over price for the weeds. I don't like to bid by the hour, but have no choice since the weeds are so bad I can't figure how long it will take me. I told him 40$ an hour, he said he could find someone cheaper, so I told him to hire them for that part of the job then. I like breaking out the DR for these overgrown lots because I can charge way more per hour than mowing. The thought of pulling weeds for hours upon end does not interest me in the least for the money he wants to pay.
  9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds like my garden this year! :laugh:

What I did was go through with a hedge trimmer and knocked everything down. Let it dry, then remove if necessary.
  10. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

$120/hour for 2 men includes disposal