Weedmat-Pro's-con's?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hexfactor, Aug 4, 2008.

1. hexfactor

hexfactor LawnSite Member

I've done a couple of Mulch flower bed jobs and ive been using the 15 year weedmat. The beds ive done were terribly neglected so i had to go through the dirt with a fine tooth comb to remove roots and weeds. afterwards, i'd give it a good dousing with roundup and cover with weedmat and mulch. Sound about right, or am i going to have problems? And while i've got ya, is roundup pro worth the $169.00 per concentrate container?
    Thanks

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

We don't use the weed mats, they are for homwowners. The weed seeds will just germinate on top in the mulch anyway. I would have simply used a string trimmer to trim the weeds, and then spray with roundup. Especially if I were putting a mat on top. Why pull all uf the weeds, and then spray round up. Round Up does not prevent weeds in any fashion. I finish with a pre-emergent such as Snapshot or Surflan. Never had a problem.

BTW, I pay $80 for a 2.5 Gallon Gug of Generic RoundUp Pro, and it works just as well...

3. hexfactor

Thanks for the input LGL. Whats the name on the generic stuff you use. I'll start looking for it.

4. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

I agree about the weedmats. They work well for about a year. Once the mulch decomposes you will get weed growing on top of mats.

5. LushGreenLawn

I use Glysophate Pro, From Fisher and Son, I'm not sure where else to get it, but otherwise Tractor Supply Sells Pronto Big and Tuff, I used to use it and it works great, for $99 for 2.5 gallons.

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I thought Roundup should be used first, and allowed to be absorbed by the plant. Then return the next day, weedwack, then mulch.

Roundup needs to be sprayed on the foliage of the plant. Once it hits the dirt, it becomes useless. At least that is what the label tells me.

My method gives a pretty good bed for over a year with minimal weeding.

Preen on top of the mulch is supposed to prevent weeds, and should help.

7. hexfactor

Sorry, i should have specified. I used roundup with extended control. It's supposed to hang around and control for up to 4 months.

8. LushGreenLawn

NO NO NO NO NO! Round Up with extended control will kill all of the desirable plants that are nearby. How long ago did you spray it? Have you been back since? It can even kill trees if you spray under the dripline. All of this information is on the back of the label.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You have to be SUPER careful around anything states extended control, some of those chemicals contain Pramitol which is an oil-based substance that can spread! Unlike gly which dissolves in water, gly doesn't hold up but so long because as it rains it just keeps dissolving and soon it's basically gone. But any oil-based herbicides when it rains the oil floats away with the water and yes it can spread all kinds of ways, why I won't use that stuff.

In terms of ecological impact it's a bit like spreading a gallon of used motor oil around,
    as far as I know Pramitol is used only in very specific cases where such control is needed.

As for generic round up, some names that come to mind are:
    Credit extra
    Killzall
    Kleenup
    and Razor pro

10. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

Hi yield killz all is available online $65.00 plus shipping.