1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weeds along edges of landscape

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Feb 1, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

hi all, here is my question: when installing plants, mulch, stone etc. is there anyway to prevent the weeds from growing at the edges, like where the plastic meets the house, etc. also, what do u guys use as a weed barrier, ive used that netting(expensive) and just plain plastic, actually like the plastic better. thanks
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We use mulches and pre-emergents. We have gotten rid of our "weed barriers" from the past because you have a limited-time-frame for which they are effective.

Hand pulling or spraying is about your only option to maintain the edges. We have found the alternative to be far more profitable as well.

Hope this helps.
  3. Guest

yeah some homeowners love the mats however they dont protect aganst annual weed seeds and really invasive perennial weeds w the underground shooter(pardon lack of nomenclature knowledge hehe) I was surprised by how well grey felt-like stuff at homedepot held mulch on a slope these invading perennials need to be sprayed w herbicide maybe twice and monitored

[Edited by Lawngeek on 02-01-2001 at 06:33 PM]
  4. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I picked up some Dimension pre-emergent at Hydroscape - it is working well. I put it down per the instructions & no more new weeds! And this is in a garden that was overrrun w/ dandelions, & everything else!

I'm sold on it & will continue to use it, given the fact that I save time for the next several months on not having to pull new weeds & disturb the flowers.