Weeds and Bare Spots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassGuzzler, Apr 23, 2005.

1. GrassGuzzler

GrassGuzzler LawnSite Member
    from N.E. OK

Hello everyone! I'm the new guy on Lawnsite. Been lurking for a while and gleaning some good info as well as some good laughs (it's nice to know I'm not the only one with customer horror stories). Anyway, I finally decided to try a post. So, here goes: Does cutting a lawn low help get rid of weeds? Does cutting a lawn high help bare spots under trees to fill in? If the answer is "yes" on both of these questions, should I just cut it high and tell the lady she'll have to have it sprayed for weeds? Thanks for your help.

2. ndunn

ndunn LawnSite Member

cutting low allows more sunlight to reach the weeds, giving them the advantage over grass. Cut high, how high depends on the grass and your zone. Most lawn care books, even those you might find at barnes n noble, should have recommended cutting heights for different kinds of grasses. As far as bare spots under trees, cutting high is a start, but there are many other factors. Without seeing the spot or knowing the tree type I would guess you need to trim the tree to allow more light to filter through for the grass, overseed the area, and check the soil chemistry to see if it is all out of whack from whatever the tree drops onto the grass. Sometimes it's just easier to plant another ground cover than to try to get grass to grow somewhere it doesn't naturally want to grow.

good luck