Weeds and Beds

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by tdifonzo, Nov 2, 2011.

1. tdifonzo

tdifonzo LawnSite Member

I'm pretty new to the business. I was wondering what most guys are using to treat beds for weeds. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

First question is have you obtained your limited license to legally apply the products which you need? If so then we can talk about what products are appropriate and legal for you to apply in customers beds.

If you are just wondering for a general weed killer in the beds, which still requires a license, the round up quick pro is what I use, a lot of guys prefer to use the generic round up which does a good job too, i just prefer the quick pro as the granules are not as messy as liquid and the measuring device is built right into the lid to ensure a proper mix.
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

4. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I think he means what works in Florida :hammerhead:

dKoester: see Michael Geists post.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Table Vinegar isn't strong enough to kill weeds. Horticulture vinegar is very expensive compared to Glyphosate. Contact herbicides like Vinegar or Diquat do a nice job on very young weeds with no root mass to store energy. But larger weeds with a root mass and stored energy come right back up because the vinegar only stunts them. Repeated applications of Vinegar will finally kill large weeds. But why spend more money on a product that is less effective when Glyphosate is now so cheap and effective.

Michael Geists using Quick Pro is getting the best of both worlds. Quick Pro is both a contact and systemic. He is getting the quick knock down and the long term systemic control. Sure he is paying a little more for his product. But he is getting better control in a quicker fashion and giving his customer a quality job. Ford might say Quality is job one but it should be our Motto also. you have to spend a little money to make money.

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Vinegar works in ne ohio. I also use a table spoon of salt mixed in on driveways and patios. Vinegar dehydrates weeds so they will dye, doesn't kill the root but that's what the customer wanted.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You and dKoester should realize this is a Florida Forum and what works in Tree Hugger Ohio or Virgina might not work in Florida. Our Climates, temperature and rain fall, are totally different as are our weed problems.
  8. Yup, 12 mo weed problems
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. tdifonzo

tdifonzo LawnSite Member

I don't have that license as of yet. How do I go about getting a license for chemicals? I've been pulling weeds by hand,but that's getting old quickly. I have a couple of clients whose beds have been neglected. When it was busy,I couldn't spend much time at their properties. Now it's getting dark a little earlier and I'm doing this after my regular job. Time is still a little tight.
  10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry for getting in your thread. My apologies.

We evaporate our vinegar which makes it stronger.