weeds and weeds

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by greggo, Jul 2, 2004.

1. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

Happy 4th everyone!! I plan to purchase a Mini Z with a 52" deck and 23 HP Kawi.I have about 3 acres to mow.The problem is that it's all weeds(for now) that I have to mow, and that they are pretty tall 3-4'
    The house is still under construction.

Can I mow this if I keep the deck up and go sloooow?and do half width cut's. Or would I be putting a strain on the machine?I will get grass there later,but for now the yard is looking kinda rough(LOL)

What blades would you recomend if I can do this?

I was also wondering why you guys use an aluminum spindle housing on this unit vs a cast iron one like Scag use's on there Tiger Cub. They both seem like fine machines but for the Hustler 23/52 I can get it for $6,245 before tax,Scag wants another $1,000 for the same set up.

Thanks PJ and have a Safe 4TH
    Greg
    :)

2. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

The mini Z will do fine in the tall weeds as long as you are cutting weeds not rocks. I have many lanscapers that cut lold lawns that have not been mowed for 6 weeks or more with no problem.
    As for the spindle question- Cast irom is realy easier to brake than aluminium. In 3 yesrs sell the hustler product I have not ever sold a mower spindle housing. With the grat warrentyon them - there is no question.
    You will not regret buying the mini over a scag. You get a great product and great product support.
    lambert:D

3. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

Thanks for the reply Lambert:I was thinking of getting an ell-cheapo craftsman rider(used) to use as the sacraficial mower(lol)so I wouldnt tear up the new mower

A guy up the street from me has an 8hp snapper for $50 but I don't think it would handle the weeds

Just for my curiousity what happens if I do hit a rock with the new machine.

Thanks Greg

4. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Well rocks dont work real well with any mower. If the rocks are large enough you could damage the deck-but not very likely. Blades may get damaged or bent. So be careful. Mow it tall. Walk the grass and walk the weeds for possible problems.
    You willlove this unit!
    Lambert

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Lambert is giving you some good advice.
    I can not say this enough, before mowing anything that tall, walk through it, and make sure there is nothing to hit, you can cause damage to the mower or yourself / bystanders.
    These unit are designed to mow in most conditions of regular growth.
    You are not going to strain it to bad if you go very slow.
    You may want to have the area bush hogged and then keep it mowed to a manageable length with the new Hustler.
    Hope this helps.

Pj

6. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

Thanks guys for the info.I think what I will do is ,walk the lot to find any rocks,try the new machine with the deck up high going slow.If it starts to bog down I will stop.

I might hit a few tag sales this weekend to try and get a rider cheap to use on the lawn first.Let that one make the mistakes.

PJ I want to say that it is because of YOU,this form,lawn site,the members feedback,and the fact that when I called the factory,a real person answered the phone and took care of me.(Try that with the other manufactures),(wont happen) that I will be buying a Hustler Mini Z.

So show this one to your Boss and get that Big fat RAISE you desrve!!
    Thanks again Greg

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thank you for the nice comments, they are greatly appreciated.
    We pride ourselves on our customer service and the dedication that our entire company has in regards to the product we build.
    Let us know when you get that new Hustler and post some pics for all to see !

Thank you
    Pj

8. mpwangler

mpwangler LawnSite Member

Greg,
    I was in the same boat a few years ago. I used a billy-goat 20" brush cutter to knock down 2.5 acres of weeds and tall grass. (it took me about 7 hours to accomplish). I was able to find most all the big rocks and got it started. I then cut the lawn a few years with a 36" Craftsmen tractor. I now use a 72" Hustler Excel 400. I really enjoy cutting the grass. My former field actually looks pretty good now.
    Good luck.

9. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

Thanks for the reply! I should be picking up the mower today and I got a deal on a demo super mini with a 25 hp kawa . I'm going to give the weeds a shot,if that dosen't work I will get a brush hog in there.

I might be able to work a deal out with a guy who owns a brush hog.He needs some lumber that I have and can't use.I will send a post to let guys know how I made out.
    Thanks Greg