Weeds/Grass and Flower Beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Ok just wondering what is the best way to keep a flower bed free of weeds and grass with the lowest cost in mind and beside's pulling them all the time? Also does mulch keep ground cover from spreding? Thanks for your help on this.:confused:

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

You will need to kill the weeds with roundup, or pull em out :( , and if you are licenced to apply chemicals, then put a premergence herbicide to keep the weeds from comming back.
    I have found that a product called preen works good for some weeds, and it is in a granular form.

Mulching will not keep ground cover from spreading. Shortly after putting the mulch down, the ground cover will be comming back.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Ronstar pre-emergeant. Works well and does not root prune like some other brands.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Avery, What does root prune mean.

5. Avery

Mow money....Root pruning is where the root zone of a beneficial plant is harmed /killed by a chemical. Most pre-emergeants will root prune somewhat. Ronstar will not. We apply it to newly installed sod without any harmful effects. The stuff is not cheap but is does a better job than any product we have tried.

6. Before you go out and buy any herbicide and apply it on any lawn other than your own and are not licensed and insured can you afford to get caught?

Just one complaint to the state Ag dept and they will be all over you.

If you kill off a homeowners trees and shrubs you will be pretty much history in the green industry.

Even though you might have business insurance it's worthless for it does not have a pesticide endorsement.

Lawrence StoneĀ®, Your point can be made without the insults. - Ray

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

wellll .... I may not open like that ....but point made ..... and true ..... around here it is a $5k ...NO Warning ...this is a better area to sub out to a qualified n licensed Spray Service ..even Round Up you need at least a license (3 years tax returns....500k insurance ...8 hr class ...test .....$$ ...continued 4 hr learning per year)

like it or not ......these type of regulations are the ONLY defense a Full Professional Service has against just ANY One going out .....you will have much better peace of mind (and more than likely better Results) to sub out the work

BUT if you are licensed to spray you should have a good idea of what to use ;->

8. Avery

I am a licensed applicator Stone. Have been for years and years. Also, several of my employees are licensed also, even though they are not required to be. Also carry general liability insurance to the tune of 2.5 million. As for my nose...it does get a little snotty now and then. Allergies catching up to me in my old age.

9. So in the state of NC you can just put a guy in a spray truck without any formal instruction? Does not the state have to test your employee in the interest of public safety?

10. Avery

Stone, Yes I can put a guy in a truck, yes I give them instructions on what to do and how to do it. No the state does not require them to be tested. They work under my license. Does not take a genius to be able to read and follow labels on containers. Your state may have different regulations. I do not profess to know the laws in any state other than my own.

Like you I also have little tolerance of unlicensed/uninsured LCO operators. I will however give answers to reasonable questions posted on this board. I was under the assumption that it was designed for that purpose. The majority of the posters here seem to be new guys with little knowldege of the industry, but at least they are trying to learn. Why not help them out?

Last but not least....I have no use for flammers. :cool: