Weeds/Grass in curb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken0564, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

This gripes me...just finished a prop. When leaving I saw another guy pulling out four houses up.

He never cleans the curb. Currently the weeds growing between concrete and asphalt apprx 5-6" tall. He halfway edges, cut clippings into street and never blows it down. Last year they grew to 18-24", I couldn't take it so as I, the Z, and the sprayer drove up to the next home I just happened to spray the stuff (only about 35' of curb). Dead in a couple of days, he never did clean the debris from curb.

Is it just me or do you guys maintain the curbing? When I look at a job I figure this in my bid. Guess that's the reason I don't do "SPECIAL OF THE MONTH - SMALL YARD $20". I should also add homes in this sub are in $250k-300k range and are well kept...at least for the most part.

Sorry for ranting, had to vent. I'll shut up now, gotta go mow.
  2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I agree with you about the weeds along the curb area. I can't stand to see weeds growing along the curb, in the crack of the sidewalk and especially in the cracks of the driveway. It doesn't take but a few extra minutes to wack them down with the trimmer or spray them.

On the other hand there are those customers that penny pinch you to death and only want the very basic of services. I have one old lady that will only let us trim about every three weeks, I hate leaving the grass looking that way but it is by request.
  3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

simple as that. I see a lot of this in the old neighborhoods with cracked sidewalks and curbs.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I dont spray them unless its an included fee, and time has shown that no many people are willing to pay to have weeds in the street sprayed. I hit them with the trimmer every 2 weeks or so, and keep them as short as possible. Every week for the customers drives and walkways.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

full service I take care of it.

basic service a quick swipe with the trimmer when they start to annoy me.

clients that only let me trim every 3 weeks are ex clients.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

congradulations, you just broke about 3-4 different d.e.p laws. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT to spray pesticides, unauthorized. the homeowner can sue you, and so can the city.
  7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a guy today spraying RoundUp along all the curbs, sidewalks and drive rather then edging. At least 6" from each. I figure that by next week I can stop by and ask them what happened to their lawn and pick up a new customer. Did I mention his home made wooden trailer being pulled by a 1985 mini van? Wish I would of had a camera with me then.
  8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Yuppers you were right on this one.Never spray or even touch a neighbors yard.Look at it and move on.Only be concerened with your work on the yard you are working on.
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I did miss seeing that. This is correct, I would not spray anyone elses weeds. Knock them down with the trimmer when they are obnoxiously tall, but not spray them. Hope you guys are on good terms.
  10. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

I've seen this in my area also. It's becoming more popular. They spray and the next 2-3 visits cut it in with a stick edger to create a turf edge 3-4" from the concrete. Once they have it, they will edge with wacker about once a month. I don't think I'll ever do it.