Weeds grew right through weedblock, any advice?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by I26, Jul 24, 2009.

1. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner who decided to tear out a mulch bed after it was taken over by weeds growing through the fabric. Either fabric is useless or I am not doing it right. I read about using a weed preventative like Preen before putting mulch back down and not using the fabric. Any advice for a joe shmoe who is sick of weeds. Thanks you.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your way out is called maintenance:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

3. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  4. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

That is easy, you went cheap on the mulch..Go at least 6 inches deep and have zero (after it compacts). I had 30 yards for my own property and after almost 5 months that was many 10 weeds...

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

are you trying to cause disease to start on the landscape plants in a bed with 6" deep mulch?

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Spot treat with roundup but be careful around other plants. Pulling weeds (IMHO & experience) does next to nothing unless you get the root...clover, dandelion, etc. you almost can never get by the root. Skip on the weed fabric IMO, waste of time/money. UNLESS its stone, then I use fabric. Oh ya, and use pre-emergent. Not sure about preen though.

7. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

I have heard the 6" mulch thing before. So this is not a good idea? I had 3" on top of the soil before I cleaned up the bed. I have been slacking on the weeding part due to working long hours and to many projects going but now I have the time to dedicate to this issue. Thanks for the advice though, its appreciated.

I will say that removing crab grass in front of the bed, lots of it, in order to plant grass is a bear. Glad I don't do lawn care for a living.

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Don't use weed block, it's a waste. Preen will help, but it's only a pre-emergent, it won't kill the root. It just prevents seeds from germinating. Glyphosate will kill to the root, but be careful to only spray the weeds. And in my opinion, 6 inches of mulch is way too heavy. 3-4 inches in optimum on new installs. Any thicker and it tends to be a tad unhealthy for plants.

9. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Landscape fabric= waste of money. Get Preen, HD and Lowes sells it. I have used it, work great. It won't kill weeds that have started, but will stop new weeds from germinating.

10. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, 6 inches of mulch? How do you plant annuals in 6 inches of mulch?

Anyways, good weed fabic works great in stone beds, the problem you run into is putting mulch/compost on TOP of the fabric, this is what the weeds germinate in. Then the weeds roots grow into the fabric, not up through.