Weeds growing in Juniper bushes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FIRESCOOBY, Jul 28, 2006.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

A neighbor of mine came over yesterday and asked me if I knew anything he could use.

He planted some Juniper bushes about two years ago and they are doing pretty well this year. But, they have some sort of weed growing up through the Junipers. He wanted to know of anything he could use that would kill the weeds, but not harm the Juniper. I told him maybe a pre-emergent in very early spring, but I know very, very little about herbicides.

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

check the label for image and fusilade II...they can both be sprayed over the top on many plants
  3. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

if you can find some lontrel, that will take care of it.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if you go with the light % on round up, it won't harm the juniper, but do go light and spot spray the weeds, don't blanket it.
  5. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

Very weel said- round applied like he said will not hurt " woody ornamentals" -- that is most bushes.
  6. OSL  Inc.

OSL Inc. LawnSite Member

snapshot early in spring right before you mulch...

why not get the client tied into a monthly weeding of all beds & concrete, so you make more money and his / her property looks great all season long. win-win, and you ar making more income, easy to manage maintenance.

If you are only fert & squirt, no maint., then snapshot, early in spring helps greatly applied correctly... (and if you also do maint., this product reduces labor / man hours during the monthly weedings, etc.)

my 2 cents
  7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a grass or broad leaf ??
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I use glyphosate on a couple of mine. I was apprehensive at first but, it didn't seem to bother the juniper.
  9. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I use 41% glyphosphate as well in Juniper. At a rate of 2 ounces per gallon it has no effect on the Juniper, but should kill the weeds. As long as it isn't nutsedge.