Weeds growing thru driveway/sidewalk cracks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Curious Porpoise, Jul 31, 2006.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

This is a question i've been debating back and forth over w/ myself. Should weedwacking those nasty little weeds that grow thru sidewalk/driveway cracks be part of lawn maintenance, or should that be a separate service (maybe charge a one time fee to weedwack it all to the ground, then spray the spots real good w/ a high quality herbicide like lesco's prosecutor)? On the one hand, i am being paid to cut the person's lawn every week so you could say that that is part of maintaining some one's property, but on the other hand, sometimes u get customers who haven't maintained their property very well and the weeds are out of control. In this instance, hitting the weeds w/ the trimmer can be very time consuming and goes thru string very fast (i don't care so much about the cost of string, but rather the more frequent re-stringing the trimmers). what do u guys think? should this be included in a regular lawn mowing service? i know every one of u has been asked to "just quick hit those weeds growing thru the cracks while you're here." Well????????????????????

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

You could spray them with a herbacide,just make sure you have a license to spray. If not i gues it would all depend on how long these sidewalks are. And how valuable your costumers are to you.:)

3. jpsquared

jpsquared LawnSite Member

If it is really over grown and its alot to do i would charge but if its only a weed here or there i would just do it for free.

4. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

it sure makes a difference when I take a few minutes of my time and a little string from the trimmer to knock out those weeds growing in the cracks.... as most of my work comes from referrals I see no reason to nickel and dime the customer

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

ill do it a few times and leave them a note letting them know that i did it and also asking them to maintain it from there with roundup..... if they do cool... if not i let it go ... if they they dont care to taje 5 minutes every 2 weeks and keep it maintained then why should i go to the trouble.......

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I try to keep all cracks free of weeds.I start with the weedeater and if it is a place where it is a problem then I use spray.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

if clients are on full service or have weed control in beds, they get sprayed then wacked the next week and rarely have noticeable weeds

for the few remaining clients not on full service, I let them get unsightly then wack them out, hoping to get called so I can upsell them.

8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

You got in right on upsell the spray whether it be roundup or prosecutor or what ever isnt cheap anymore and it does take time to do which time=money in my book

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting the weeds from the cracks is the BIGGEST issue I have with employees. They seem to miss it all the time. I spray sometimes, especially the contracted clients. With weekly clients and some contracts, I string trim the grass. Takes 10-15 seconds extra and makes a BIG difference in the appearance when done...especially if none of the neigbors do it.

10. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

In my contract it states under services at no additional cost all curbs, driveways, and sidewalks will be treated with a contact herbicide. It is my property and my reputation, I don't want those things in the expansion joints, it totally ruins the look of an otherwise well maintained property.