1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weeds hardest to kill

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 95Z71, Jun 19, 2006.

1. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member

Hi I'm new here and i think this site is great. I have Bermuda grass and this weed in it that is extremely hard to kill. I don't have any pictures of it, but it's viny, green and purple, and little white flowers if you let it grow out. I typically use MSMA on the grass, and it burns it, but i don't think it actually kill it. Any help?

2. gspam1

gspam1 LawnSite Member

1) Take one of your weeds down to your local garden center and ask them what it is. Then post again and someone here can tell you the proper control method.

2) There are many online weed ID tools/databases too. Try searching one of those to match up your weed.
  3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like Virginia Buttonweed.

Go look at a few photos online and see if you have a match.
  5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I live very near you and there is alot of Virginia Buttonweed in Batesville. I have seen it in all my new accounts. MSMA won't kill it. One homeowner told me that he had been pouring straight MSMA on it. Bad idea, do not do that!!!!
  6. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Yall are absolutely right, I visited the site posted by chimmygew and there it was. Now what should i use to kill it, it's most annoying.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Manor or Speedzone will provide good control of it. Often it takes more than one application to completely knock it out.

I have some Surge but have not tried it on Buttonweed yet. Since I have some in my own lawn, this might be a good research opportunity.
  8. Jeff's Lawn Care

Jeff's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Nimble weed....pain in the rear
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

MSMA is what we used to use on dallasgrass. It does not kill broadleaf weeds (which is what you have). "Chaser" herbicide from UAP/UHS kills difficult weeds everytime! It's an ester formulation, so be careful around tomato & pepper plants as it can volitilize. Good luck.
  10. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member