Weeds in Central Ohio

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfman999, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Turfman999

Turfman999 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if many others are seeing alot more perennial weeds than in the past few years. I normally would only need a little spot treatment this time of year, but it seems like more tank mixing is needed this year. Any thoughts on what you are seeing and why?

Thanks in advance.

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Constant wetting, with flucuating temps, its a managery of weeds this season. I know we are seeing what seems to be alot more wild violet and ground ivy persisting, but best time for control is fall. We are basically at the "halftime" of this season's football game, its time to make adjustments and come out with a winning second half!

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

oxalis, spurge, and violets are a problem where i am.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am getting a pretty good kill on everything now...but had some serious problems this spring with Plantin, and a few winter annuals (chickweed, speedwell etc.) which was a surprise to me! I never had a call back on weed control until this year. I have had several and was getting kinda frustrated!

I am getting some weeds sneaking through here and there but nothing consistent. I am sure it is ALL environmental because there is just no consistencies!

With the variable temps and excessive rainfall I am sure this is what it is! What do you guys think?

5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

True, dry conditions "crack" the soil exposing seed. Add a lot of water and POOF.

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Little House on the Prairie-land :laugh: looks like it sure had a dry spell...

But not Buckeyeland !

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

drought last year, grass thinned out, record rain this year and weeds took over.. i'm with rcreech, had a horrible time early this year, but now everythings falling into place. i took on alot of large properties this year that were not well maintained for, well a long time from the condition they were in.