1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weeds in concrete and brick drive/walkways

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, May 21, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I'm curious....what do you all do with clients who have concrete or brick walkways and driveways that have weeds coming up in them?

Do you (1) use your string trimmer to trim them down flush, (2) pull out the sprayer with roundup and spray them, (3) hand pick them out, or (4) nothing....the driveway weeds weren't quoted as part of the job!

The reason I ask, is because my last client had a driveway full of weeds.....I trimmed them down flush to the pavement, but they'll surely be back next week.

What do you all feel is the most professional solution?

2. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

#2, is the most professional way,and the best way.
  3. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

Thanks, BigEd.

I guess I need to start carrying a bottle of Roundup in the truck. That stuff can be pretty expensive. Do you just eat the cost, or do you figure it into the pricing of houses with weedy driveways?

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I would bring it up when I see them. I'll tell them that I noticed that they have a lot of weeds in their driveway/patio/what ever and ask them if they want me to take care of it. If they say yes than spray away and add to the bill. I dont spray for free because I dont like to give away product for free. Some labour is fine to keep them happy (within reason) though.
  5. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

At about $100 for 2 gallons we charge............
  6. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

The first thing you will need is a license to spray the Round Up. After you get that, then you can buy a gallon of concentrate fairly reasonable from a supplier like Lesco. My cost for a gallon of RU mixed is less that a dollar per gallon....
  7. jbrink01

jbrink01 LawnSite Member

There are several generic foliar herbicides that work as well as Roundup for less money. I go the local MFA Co-op and get Hi Yield Kilz All. It's about $35 a gallon, and 5 Tablespoons make 1 gallon. Mix a little dish soap with it so it sticks better....
  8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I usally weed whack it then spray it with finale
  9. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

asyracus..you're right ....they'll be back. Save yourself a lot of time and kill them. You're cost will be pennies and your time saved is profit.
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I try to wack 'em down when I can. I'm not licensed, can't spray to kill them. If I get caught doing even that, it's a bigtime fine. Although I can go home and spray roundup all over my yard and so can the average idiot homeowner, with no repercussions. Go figure.