weeds in flower beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluejerm, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Bluejerm

Bluejerm LawnSite Member

What would you suggest to remove a heavily weeded flower bed without pulling them all out by hand?

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say till it

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are there flowers in it now? Fill out your profile so we have a better idea where you are located. Are you in warm weather? Is the vegetation out of dormancy? If it is just weeds and no flowers planted, spray the beds with roundup, and till a few days later. Then you can plant. If you just till, all you are doing is just stirring the weeds and their rhizomes around and they'll be sure to grow back, and probably even multiply.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i ahd a job just like this last year. spray it, til it, then any big weeds pull them out by hand so they don't try and grow back. personly i would put down a 20year weed paper if i was gunna put in a nice landscape.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The most effective way for me is to wait until the ground is damp and soft,and just pullum up.

6. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Lots of different ways to "skin that cat". Sure, you can do the round up method, but that can take many applications and several weeks to finish. Also, remember round up is a foliant application so you need to do it when its warm and the plants are growing. If you have a virtual "turf" situation you may think about landscape material. Simply cut it to fit and then give it about 3" of mulch on top. You can later plant in the bed after the weeds have all been killed. If you do this right away though, the weeds will grow out of the cuts in the material used for planting. Maybe a combination of the 2 methods? The tilling method will just dig up and replant the existing weeds.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

id use a flat head shovel and just skim off a thin layer that has the weeds on it. it does remove some dirt, but in mulched beds it doesnt make that much of a difference because the new mulch will fill the space

8. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Round Up / Tri Mec / Surflan

9. Bluejerm

Bluejerm LawnSite Member

It has azaleas as hedges and the bottom of them is infested with weeds...i can't spray roundup or till without removing the plants...any help now???

10. If your not going to pull then you might try prunning the lower branches back to expose the weeds,then if the weeds are tall-n-bushy cut them back with hedge trimmer. Spray (carefully) the powereel solution (all three together), and you should see a good brownout w-out damage to desirable growth. Then if you can get ahold of Ronstar (surflan is good, ronstar lasts longer, costs more), put down with landscape fabric/mulch. Say goodby to weeds.

Collect money and recieve praise for being the hero! If the customer don't want you to cut the azaleas back then xplain to them they should'nt have let it get out of control by not using good install tech.. Those weeds should never have come through in the first place!

Hope this helps.

Aloha, P.Y.S.