Weeds in garden beds!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mowingtowing, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

Ok, what do people do to keep weeds from growing in garden beds that are mulched???
    We got big into mulching this spring and pulled out all the weeds in all gardens we mulched put a nice layer of mulch on everything. All customers gardens looked great, for about 3 weeks. Damn weeds (as i expected) started peaking up in garden beds. We dont use cloth/plastic weed barriers (I think they are a pain and dont fix the problem). I want to know what others use (if anything) to keep weeds from comming up, something put down after weeding and before application of mulch.
    A granular weed killer? Chemicals? Help!

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

pull them!!!!!!!!!!

Or you could do a search on this topic.

3. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

heres how i solved the weed problem in my yard. I use "carpet" in my landscaping beds. I turn it upside down, as the rough side is easier to cut to put plants in. then i cover it with mulch. i found it pretty hard for a weed to break through the carpet. carpet is FREE! check any dumpster next to a carpet store.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Just out of curiousity, how long does it take for water to soak through the carpet?