Weeds in Junipers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PCM-LC, Jun 21, 2004.

1. PCM-LC

PCM-LC LawnSite Member

I have a commercial account that has approximately 100' of Junipers. There are various types of weeds and some Posion Oak growing all over the plant. Is there anything I can spray to kill the weeds and Oak without harming the Junipers?

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

You can use casaron in there. It is a granular herbicide but it works well.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

PCM-LC

Fusilade and Manage can be sprayed off the top of Junipers to kill many of the weeds. DO NOT MIX THEM. However the Poison Oak starts are impossible to get selectively. You might try wicking them with a 2-4-D product.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Won't the herbicides take care of the junipers too though?

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Have you had any success going right over the top without harming the junipers. I need to do this but have been afraid to.

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I usually sprinkle it over the junipers and then go over them with a rake and knock it down through the top layer of growth. I dont want to take a chance with it laying on top and maybe burning the plants.

Have to be careful with some types, mainly the very low growing carpet types. Too much casaron will yellow and almost kill them. What ever you do, dont use it on heathers. It will kill them off real quick.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Thank You!

Tom

8. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lontrel is a herbicide which is labeled for over the top control in many evergreens of thistle and many other broadleafs in Nursery stock. Many landscapers are using it for ornamental uses as well.
    The active ingredient is Chlopyrilid, which is in confront and other weed control mixtures. This might be your answer for control of thistle and other weeds in Junipers and other evergreens!

Read the label carefully and proceed with caution. A little goes a long way ( 1/8 to 1/2 oz. per 1000 sq. ft. )

9. PCM-LC

PCM-LC LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your advice, I picked up a quart of Fusilage and will apply it later in the week.

I just got my license and plan to experiment with different types of chemical.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh goody...just what our environment needs. Why experiment when you can research and use what is proper? The advice to use Lontrel was dead on, but then again you probably saw what it cost and said no way even though you didn't realize the container would last you a couple years.

P.S. If what you bought was actually Fusilade instead of "Fusilage" (new to me), you are only going to kill annual grasses and not broadleafs. Maybe you better go back and read your materials again...or better yet...maybe NC should make ther test harder.