Weeds in my Bermuda, help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by blake101, May 24, 2009.

1. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

I have about a 20x20 area in my bermuda grass that has weeds. Here are my plans. I plan on taking my trimmer and take the area down to the soil, rake up the clipping and take the rake and break up the soil about 1 1/2 inches deep. Spread lawn starter fertilizer 18-24-6 and rake it into the soil then spread my grass seed and rake it in also (about 1/4 deep). But will this also help the weeds grow with the grass? Will the grass take over the weeds?What should I do? Should I round up the area first and then seed? What would you do? Trying not to spend a lot of money.

2. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Why not treat the weeds and get rid of them? What weeds are they?

3. blake101

It is a section 20x20 or maybe a little larger of soild weeds, it has a little bit of everything, if I kill it off how long would it take the bermuda to cover that much ground? Could you give me a idea of what to treat it with? It is located in my front yard, there are two spots that have bermuda and I thought it would spread , but they haven't grown in size in the last two years.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Is this area in full sun? If you have plenty of sun and water it should spread. A 400sq ft area will take alittle while to fill in soild. If you are in full sun you could always kill the weeds and then plug some of your Bermuda into the spot.

5. blake101

I do have full sun. The two spots that I do have bermuda, they are about 10-15 foot round. In the last two years they just seem like they haven't grown. So do you think I would be better off killing the weeds and plugging from my excising yard, or seed it like I was talking about earler and keeping the water on it, with fert?

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I would personsally try weed killer, plugging and even apps of fert and water.

7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Can you post a picture? Do you have any idea why your existing bermuda has never spread? Have you ever had bermuda in this area? Was your lawn sodded when the house was built, or do you have whatever-kind-of-grass-comes-up lawn?

You could spray MSMA on the weedy spot a couple of times about a week apart to kill most all the grassy weeds. You might be surprised to find that you have a little bermuda growing in that area. If you do, water, fert, and frequent mowing will really make your bermuda spread.

Water, frequent low mowing, fertilizer, and MSMA is 90% of all you have to do to have a bermuda lawn in MS.

8. blake101

I can get some pictures tomorrow.
    When I purchased the house several years ago it had a picture perfect lawn full of bermuda, the home owner really had it looking good. He left me some weed and feed in the shed and told me to use that on the grass. Well I don't have a green thumb, I used the weed and feed , but most of my front yard died on me, the side and back yard were fine. It has never recovered from it, and that was about 3 years ago. Now I won't my grass back, not the weeds.
    Sorry, I have not been the type of person to take care of my yard other than mow it. I do have some questions for you if you don't mind.
    1. Frequent low mowing, will that help with the weeds? How often and how low?
    2. MSMA, what is this, how do I apply it and how much? Where can I get it? I will read the directions, would just like your opinion.
    3. Fertilizer, could you give me a idea as what to use, how much and when to apply(apply it when it is dry or wet or does it matter? I have all the water I need for the lawn, and I do get full sun.

9. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

If you are interested in learning about lawn maintenance, check out some of the free info at msucares.com.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1322.pdf will answer most of the questions that you will have about your lawn in much more detail than I can give.

Low mowing will help bermuda spread and grow tight. This helps reduce weeds. Unless your lawn is smooth, 1.5" or a little less is probably as low as you can mow. Don't remove more than 1/3 of the leaf, which will mean mowing twice a week after rainfall and during peak growing season.

MSMA is a herbicide that is sold at all farm stores and big box hardware stores. The amount you apply depends on the concentration, so carefully read and follow the label. You might want to go to a Co-op and ask for help finding the right product. You'll need a sprayer. If you don't feel comfortable with spraying herbicides, you may want to call a lawn care company and let them take control.

Fertilizer suggestion are in the above publication. Apply when the grass is dry and water it in or pick a time before rainfall is very likely.

A lot of soils in MS are low in Phosphorous, so a balanced fertilizer like 13-13-13 is a pretty safe bet to get you started.

Don't use weed n feed before your bermuda greens up (mid Apri/May), otherwise you'll just be feeding your weeds.

10. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

If you just scalp the weeds down to the dirt and overseed,the weeds will just grow right back.

You need to spray the weeds in order to eliminate them,you cant just "tear them down" with a trimmer.