Weeds In New Fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by beaglegun, Oct 11, 2007.

1. beaglegun

beaglegun LawnSite Member

I'm located in north central Ky. I recently killed a whole lawn with Round Up because it was mostly crabgrass and power seeded it with Rebel fescue. The new planting has become infested with weeds. I've attached links to photos of the weeds. What are they and what can I do? Thanks

2.jpg

4.jpg

2. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

Not sure what this weed is, but Octane may be a good candidate. It is labeled for use on newly seeded turfgrass for control of small broadleaf seedlings.

3. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

I need a selective to kill fescue in a broadleaf lawn!

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I hope the rest of the lawn came in thicker than those pics. If not, you better aerate and seed or power seed again. Most selective broadleaf herbicides will be fine after the new grass has been mowed a few times.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty much has to be a winter annual...like chickweed. Spray it--if you can accept a little risk--I have sprayed new grass with weed killer without harm a few times. Octane, would be safer I am sure.

On the other hand it could be veronica, another winter annual, but it has hairy leaves and stems. Take a look at the pictures on Weedalert.com and let us know.