Weeds in Rock beds.........HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, May 16, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I maintain a park with lots of wide open rock beds. These beds are clogged with weeds. I have made multiple apps of QuickPro but more and more show. Is there something that will help them stay away longer and something to get the dead weeds out of these beds without hand weeding? Hand weeding would probably take 2 days or more.
    Any help would be much appreciated because I need help getting it under control!!!

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I used a product last year that sterilized the ground. They said it's used before paving parking lots and stuff like that. I can't remember what it's called but, someone in the pesticide section would know.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Soil sterilizers can be great, but you have to be very careful. If there are any plants around that you like, ie bushes, trees, and flowers, you can make them take a dirt nap pretty quick. Sterilizers will be absorbed by the roots of neigboring plants. Also, you have to be very careful in case of rain because it can leach some distance, like outside of the bedding area and kill the grass. It will be no easy task making grass grow there after the damage is done.

You can use the QuickPro for existing weeds, and Snapshot for future weed seeds. Snapshot is a great broadleaf, and Grass preemergent. You will likely need a couple apps a year, but it will make life much easier. Lots of other things you can do, like Treflan, Barricade and other pre emergents.

That being said, be sure you are licensed to apply herbicides, it is very important!

Jay

4. precisioncut

I am licensed to apply but I don't currently apply liquid ferts so I don't have the large tanks and pumps that others have. I just have backpack sprayers, are those enough to use to apply to large areas of rock beds? Were can I pick up Snapshot & Barricade, at Lesco?

5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'd weed whack all the weeds straigt down to the rocks. Then spray all the beds with finale to kill the current weeds and mix in pendulum to prevent future weeds. after that you can eather pull all the dead weeds out by hand or just spread another load of rocks on top of the layer of dead weeds so no one will see.

6. precisioncut

Well if I wack the weeds all the way to the rocks I will have little rocks flying all over breaking house windows and with the possibility to hurt someone. I thought about that. I need to avoid that.

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Lesco should have both products. You can get both in granular form, in fact Snapshot only comes Granular to my knowledge. Then all you need is a hand, or chest spreader, and you are set for the pre-emergents.

I am not sure how big of an area you are talking about, but I would think you could get by with back packs in bedding areas, dragging a hose may prove more of a hastle in a park anyway.

Good luck
    Jay

8. TheKingNJ

well when your weed whacking it keep the bumper a inch above the rocks and make sure you keep the line even with the ground. Don't hit the rocks and they won't go flying. And dump more stone over the stumps of the weeds.
    If not, have fun weeding!!

9. precisioncut

I should of measured it but I didn't. I eye balled like usual. It just seems that I am applying alot of QuickPro on it. How will Snapshot affect other plants in the beds?

10. TheKingNJ

Isn't snap shot for preventing weeds from growing not to kill current weeds?