weeds in st.augastine question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Jun 5, 2001.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys recomend to spot spray weeds in augatine grass with?will momentume work without yellowing it?any advise will help Thanks:angry:

2. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

I am not a chemical guy however; St. Augustine is very picky about what you put on it, the chem./ fertilizer guy we trade with tells me that pre-emergent is about the only thing that can be applied as most post emergent chemicals will burn if not kill the desirable grass.

Can you pull the weeds out by hand if there are not too many?

I would find out what the soil conditions were and go from there, most of the time a good stand of St. Augustine will subdue weeds to a tolerable level.

Is the lawn cut at the right height?

Is the lawn irrigated and fertilized?

Here is a site that may help www.weedalert.com

We have spot sprayed with Round-up when absolutely needed if there are more weed than grass, other than that we just mow higher (than the home owner did) and improve the soil.

Preaching irrigation to the customer does not hurt as St. Augustine can be demanding on the water.

Try to push irrigation and soil improvement/organic fertilizer before you spray.

Hope this helped?
    :)

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Simply spray with Atrizine at the recommended dose and your weeds will be gone within a couple of weeks. Be careful not to over apply if it gets up in the 90's, as you may see some yellowing.

4. leeslawncare

Where might i find this Atrizine at ?lesco?they said use lesco 3-way.but i wanted to get some opions from you guys.Thanks

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm located in Central Fl so you can find Atrizine almost anywhere here (Wal-Mart, K-Mart nursery, etc). Check with Lesco, I'm sure they'll know where to get it but I imagine it'll be by the gal. Wal-Mart sells theirs by the pint for around $6

7. leeslawncare

I'am in tennessee an it is very unusal to have this grass here ,but this guy brought it up from mobile ala .it doesn't grow well her but ,,it does grow .our wally world don't have anything for this ,but i'll try lesco next.

8. BladeRunna

BladeRunna Banned
    from america

id do what lesco recomended - they never have let me down in the 4 yeard i have known them