weeds in St Augustine lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I am working wiht a lady trying to get this account, she has asked me what this weed is in her St Augustine grass and what to use to get rid of it. She will be applying as I am not lic to do it. just need a little help on what to suggest to her

0621101744.jpg

2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

creeping charlie

broadleaf herbicide

3. dgw

from OH

that looks like fescue

4. dgw

from OH

trimec.....

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Weed-B-Gone....HomeDepot.

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Many St. Augustine varieties are extremely sensitive to many herbicides. I would hesitate to recommend anything. Trimec can do a lot of damage to St. Augustine. Tell her what the weed is, and let someone else recommend a product to use. If she kills the grass, it's on the other guy.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Let it grow out. Put some fert on it and let it grow to about 8 inches and cut it back to 5 for awhile it will choke it out.

8. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

What about lock-up? Granular, she could buy from a local fert and squirt house.

Another option would be the end of the hose weed spray "safe for all lawns" 'kills 150 different weeds" from home depot or lowes. A few of my customers use it and live by it.

9. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

Second this... raise the mower. Let the St. Augustne grow taller to shade the soil better, water and feed the lawn... the augustine will choke it out in time.

10. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

Scotts Bonus S will take care of that stuff. Not professional but I used it on my own lawn with excellent results for 2 years.