Weeds in St. Augustine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Dec 1, 2006.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Good Morning All:
    I'm new to this great formum and need some expert advise. What will KILL Shepherd's Purse, Pennywort, and Buckhorn in St. Augustine and Centipede lawn grass? I've read about Confront 3, but am having no success in locating it. The lawns are in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. I have the Setre XL 2G product for pre emergence control, but the lawn is full of the other stuff. Now that the grass is dormant what will get rid of the existing weeds. Thanks for any and all advise. Roy Almaroad

2. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

most any of the broadleaf weed controls will work just fine. three-way, tri-power, etc etc just make sure what you use is labeled for the turf you wish to apply it over. add about an ounce of Dawn dish soap per gallon of mix to increase the effectiveness of the herbicides.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

Do you have a suggesion as to which Winter Control is good? "Image" is good for warm weather but even it says "Do Not Use for Winter Control"
    Thanks--Roy

4. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

Roy,

I treat St. Augustine lawns with Blade in and have had excellent results. It will also control all the weeds you listed. It works slowly (2 weeks+), but doesn't dissapoint.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Not all of the commonly used broadleaf herbicides are labeled for St. Augustine.

You should use an ester-based herbicide this time of year, I would suggest Speedzone Southern for your particular situation.

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Where would I get the Speedzone Southern? About the only local place is John Deere Landscaping. Thanks, Roy

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

The JD near me carries PBI Gordon products, so they might have it.

8. RAlmaroad

from SC

Another product "Hi Yield Atrazine" was recommended by Lesco. Does anyone know of a buying source. Thanks, Roy

9. Hans

Hans LawnSite Member

You dont know what you have, Dont kill them, Send them to me !!!
    Shepherd's Purse is used to help stop bleeding from wounds,
    Pennywort is used infused with olive oil to stop ear infection,
    Buckhorn....Kill, or if you mean Buckthorn, It is used for a laxative.

Very medicinal

10. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

You are going to have a problem getting something that works without a
    license.