weeds in the melons

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CSRA Landscaping, May 27, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a guy here that asked me if there was anything that he could get to kill the weeds in his watermelons (about 2 acres' worth) and not hurt hthe melons themselves. I couldn't think of anything, the closest I could think of would be something like Image, to kill the grassy weeds since he said that it was a grassy weed that was predominant but I wasn't sure if that would also nuke his crop. What do you guys think?

2. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

In Ohio the crop has not been planted as pf yet but we use a product called Kerb not sure of labeling and weeds controlled, it works well in Pumpkin Patch

3. Ron Persaud

Ron Persaud LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Fusilade takes out true grasses from many broadleaf desirable plants. Check the label for safety on melons or similar plants. The plant family is "cucurbits" and it includes melons, pumpkins and cucumbers. If 'Image' has taken out a true grass (not a sedge) from a pumpkin patch then it might work but I doubt it very much. Image has controlled sedges but not grasses wherever I have used it.