Weeds on the Increase

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by devnuts, May 31, 2008.

1. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

I planted a new lawn last spring and it has come in pretty well. However, I have noticed that weeds are on the increase. I used a good Lesco seed and have fertilized, aerated, overseeded on a consistent basis...I cut it on the higher side too.....There are too many to spot spray......weed and feed?? suggestions??

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

What type of grass?

3. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

50% perennial rye, 30% creeping red fescue, 20% KY bluegrass

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

A seed mix with 50% perennial rye probably came up almost 100% perennial rye. A good seed mix for cool season turf should not have more than 20-25% perennial rye. Perennial rye doesn't do a very good job of filling in bare areas because it spreads by tillering (the grass plant slowly expands in diameter) instead of by rhizomes (like KY Bluegrass and Creeping red fescue)

It sounds like there may have been a lot of weed seed in the soil prior to seeding. Unless there is a compaction problem or a lot of bare spots hold off on the interseeding and aerifying for a while. Any time you disturb the soil you stir up weed seeds. Keep up with the fertilization and liquid weed control. Use a slow release fertilizer so that there is a consistent growth rate. Using a fast release fertilizer will lead to periods of slow growth when the fertilizer is gone which could give the weeds an opportunity.

5. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

thanks, seems to make sense. I aerated and put down some starter fert in the spring which probably did more harm than good. I am going to follow up with a weed and feed app. and see what happens. The grass still is not very thick. Can I aerate and overseed it in the fall with a different kind of grass?

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If the weed and feed is going to be your primary method for weed control don't expect much. Granular weed control products usually have poor results because the herbicide needs to be absorbed through the leaves. Ortho Weed B Gon Max works quite well when the weeds are actively growing.

Use a slow release fertilizer going into summer. Since you shop at Lesco try their Novex fertilizer. It has a very uniform release rate, 8-10 weeks I think.

You could seed and aerify in the fall. There are generally fewer weeds germinating at that time. I would try it the first or second week of September in your area. It's ok for the seed mix to have perennial rye just make sure it's not more than 25% of the total.