Weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, May 20, 2005.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question about weeds. I got a job that required approx 8 hrs of weeding, now before I tell her my $65 an hour price I had an idea. I went and got a BIG torch and propane tank, It was $100 this thing shoots a 1 foot flame and burns weeds till there is NO MORE. I was thinking of charging $75 it should take around 45 mins to an hour. What do ya'll think of this idea?

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Is it a torch specifically for killing weeds? My understanding is that those cause all of the water in the weed to boil, killing the weed in a few seconds. They don't actually burn the weed to nothing.

If that's what it is, I'd be very interested to know how it works for you and how long it takes. I think it's a great idea.

3. lawncare3

Well you may be right. I got it at home depot, It said good for and I "burning weeds,removing paint,bending metal, and road construction" It was $50 for the torch and $50 for the tank. I was thinking another alternative would be roundup then burn em??

4. pagefault

I think the torch might still work. If there is a nursery in your area that specializes in organic stuff, they should be able to tell you for sure.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think 65-75 an hour is a bit extreme, regardless of the method. jmo

6. lawncare3

Lets say I am running a 2 man crew at $60 an hour? But then what do you think of for the weeds? Maybe say $45 an hour with 1 hour minimum?

Btw get on im so we can talk, thanks, Chris

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I think you better evaluate what else is around before you go lighting fires. If the beds have mulch in them or are near wood fences or siding and you go to burn down the weeds, you'll be making a 911 call very shortly! Asphalt and cement? burn away

8. pagefault

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As pointed out I would not use the burn method as the chance for starting a fire is huge! Either spray (is a license required where you are) or do it the tried and true method of pulling them by hand.

Gravely_Man

10. pagefault

I just ordered a torch. Should be here late next week. I'll try it out and post some feedback when I get it.